Chapter 12 | Ride or Die

Start from the beginning

     "You might wanna w-watch out." Peter?

     "There's another one!-" James warned.

     "OW, MERLIN'S BEARD-" this one hit you in the nose, fluttered around, then repeatedly hit you in the face in a poor attempt to fly past you onto your bed. You gripped the letter mid air and ripped it open as Lily appeared behind you.

     "James, what on earth makes you think we'd do such a thing?"

     "Because it's ten p.m, half the Gryffindors are out going to some seventh years party, and...why not?" James spoke. The couple began to bicker as you opened the letter addressed to you.

     'Dear (Y/n),

     James has written to Lily in what we can only guess will end in them bickering. So, I write to you. Be our savior. Our knight in shining armor. Our lover arriving on a shining steed, sword in hand-'

     The letter continues on like that for some while before the surprisingly neat cursive actually asks you something.

     'If you love us, you would get your mattress, take off the sheets, and ride it down the stairs.

     With all the love (not like that) in the world, 

     Sirius Black, first of his name, most awesome of the family, fighter of curses,-'

     Yup. That's way too long for you to read. Instead you walk back to your room, rip the sheets off you mattress and set it on the stairs while Lily continues to argue. You clear your throat to get her attention, an annoyed look on her features before she stares at you. You have one of your roommate's Keeper helmets on and a sheet tied around you like a cape.

     "You my ride or die, Evans?" Her anger quickly turned into amusement as she tried to hide her laughter, but she eventually collapsed.

     "Fine. Only for you," she laughed, sitting behind you and wrapping her arms around you.

     "Ready babe?" You joked before you  both awkwardly scooted forwards. The mattress flied down the stairs as you screeched. "Watch out watch out watch out WATCH OUT-" the mattress collided with the couch as you miraculously flew through the air and on the other side of it, hitting the floor with a bang and knocking several things off the table. All the boys were quiet before erupting into laughter, James falling onto the floor with you and wheezing.

     "My ribs, my RIBS, ow!" James kicked the air in a futile attempt to calm himself. You let out a low groan. Thank Merlin  you wore that helmet. Otherwise you would've still scraped your knees, elbows, and nearly broke your neck, but would have been lectured about it. But now, all thanks to your helmet, it isn't your fault!

     "You good, hot stuff?" You shook your dizziness away as you looked up at Sirius. He was leaning over the couch to look at you with a crooked grin on his features. You stood quickly, nearly hitting your head on two more pieces of furniture and being hit with a bout of vertigo that  would've made you collapse if he hadn't grabbed your arms to keep you steady.

     "Totally good."

     "Well, that's totally rad but I totally don't believe you," Sirius joked, letting go of you as you free fell onto the couch. 

     "Where's Lily? Where's my ride or die? Oh god, don't tell me. I killed my ride or die!"

     "No, i'm fine. Only you fell off," Lily said, sitting on a love sofa looking pristine as ever. You let out a little huff as James walked passed you, knocking on your helmet as you cringed at the feeling, the boys laughing once more.

     "Sorry 'bout hitting you in the face with letters," Remus said, sitting on the floor with a cup of hot cocoa. You shrugged, Sirius sitting next to you.

      "Didn't know you could fly, (L/n). Like a bird. A really ugly, featherless, missing it's wings bird. Majestic in that it's so ugly you can't look away from it," Sirius said. He leaned forwards and pulled the helmet off your head so your frizzy excuse of hair could stick up in every direction. You batted his hands away.

     "Thanks, Black. Quite the compliment coming from a greasy raccoon like yourself," you scoffed, going to swipe at his face and the eyeliner he wore. He leaned back to avoid your hand before grabbing your wrist.

     "Takes one to know one," he grinned, winking lazily before James cleared his throat. You both stopped and looked at him.

     "I say we take an adventure. For friendship purposes. And love," James winked at Lily for the last part. You frowned as Sirius' grin turned sly.

     "Well, Prongs, I dare say I agree with you!" Sirius stood, spreading his arms out. He looked at Remus next, who looked at you, then the book in front of him, and finally at Sirius. He thought for a moment.

     "Well...bloody fine then," he rose as well, fixing his sweater as James lifted Lily off her feet. Peter stood as well, following them as he usually tended to.

     "Come on (L/n), it'll be fun," Sirius teased, extending his arm out to you. He had fingerless leather gloves on, "Promise you can hold my hand if you get scared." You scoffed but took his hand, allowing him to pull you up. Sirius didn't let go of your hand, and when you looked down at them then back at him he was staring at you like he was before. Like a cautious animal. 

     "Guess your ugly mug scares me," you shrugged, Sirius grinning cheekily as you both looked at the others. They were peering at a map you had only heard Lily speak of. The Marauders Map. It was...brilliant actually. Hundreds of students meandering the halls, all shown in live time. The illustrations were beautiful and complex. 

     "Tell me Moony, what's the plan?" Sirius asked.

     "James here thinks we should sneak some snacks out from the kitchen. Not that the house elves will mind, but if Filch catches us..."

     "Isn't there always a risk of Filch catching us?" James asked.

     "Yeah but it's the kitchen!" Remus countered.

     "So?"

     "So the geezer loves his food!"

     "Woah, don't call (Y/n) out like that," Sirius put his free hand up defensively as you shot him a glare, threatening to yank your hand away. He laughed.

     "Look, we'll just get some snacks then come back. Easy as pie!" James said. Remus shot you a look saying 'It is, as a matter of fact, not as easy as pie'.

      "Well let's get bloody on with it then," James hissed. "Wasting time. Precious pranking, snogging time!"

     "Shut it," Remus bonked James on the head with a  book before leading the march out of the commons, James gathering what appeared to be cape before following after. You shared a look with Sirius, him squeezing your hand before tugging you behind him. Merlin's Beard...