She had such a way with words. "Again, I don't know the first thing about fighting. I guess I could burn one real badly, if I had to."

"It's something," she said. She had to have been desperate, Akora never settled for anything less than better than your best.

He was suddenly more awake.

"Why don't we take a walk," he suggested. "Just a nighttime stroll to clear our heads, collect our thoughts, and come up with a plan."

"That sounds like such a passive waste of time," she grumbled. "But I suppose we can do more out there than cooped up in here."

And so the two went outside. Kyle was none too thrilled to be back in the freezing air, but it seemed to make Akora less on edge. They strode to the Academy, Kyle taking light footsteps, Akora plodding with a purpose.

There was a tension in the air Kyle had not noticed before. Maybe Vince had gotten back to the other Custodians, and their stress was just seeping into the atmosphere. Either way this was not the relaxing walk he had been anticipating. The night calm was so fragile it would shatter at a glance. Even his body became stiff and rigid. He stole a glance at Akora and her companions. They, too, walked with stiff, almost artificial gaits. Runt and Sasha had been so quiet he hadn't even noticed them until now! His teeth hurt. He could practically feel his hairs turning grey with worry. He tried to tell himself he was just overreacting, that everything was fine and nothing was going to happen, but there was still a part screaming, "No, it's not!"

As they neared the threshold leading to the Academy courtyard, Vince's Ivory Heart was passing in front of them. Its tall body cast a long shadow down the path for at least a hundred feet. It its head to face them. Its hollow, soulless, unfeeling eyes scanned the two up and down. Then, it continued on its route, determining them to be harmless.

"I still hate that thing," Kyle said in a whisper, hoping his voice would lighten the mood.

Akora jumped half out of her skin. "I forgot you were there," she panted. "Gah, don't scare me like that!"

The two walked the remainder of the path in absolute silence. Even their breaths were inaudible. There was a safety in the Academy walls, like a stone brick security blanket. Even so, their dread remained behind them, watching, waiting.

All of the gargoyles were in class, so the sky was free from movement. It was a cloudless night. The moon was full, and filled the courtyard with light. With the snow reflecting the light right back, it was almost as bright as the daytime. But there was something unsettling about the starch white and sudden, dramatic black shadows.

Kyle found the Ivory Heart, marching silently around the circumference of the courtyard. The sight of it sent shivers through him. It meant no harm, it was here to protect him, but it still reminded him of his time in the castle. It had the same face. He wondered how they worked. Did they retain any memories? Or were they a blank slate every time, knowing nothing but their orders? He wasn't sure which thought was scarier. Either way, he remembered it.

Akora nudged him on the shoulder. She pointed to a tree in the center of the courtyard. Something stuck out from behind the trunk, though it was hard to tell what. The two crept closer, their footfalls silent as they approached. As they rounded the trunk, they discovered Vince, back against the tree, head slumped forward.

"Vince!"

Vince jumped with a yelp. "GAH! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

The two, just as startled as Vince, took a step back. "I was so afraid something happened!" Kyle stammered. "I thought you were dead!"