1|| casualties of war

Start from the beginning

Hermione had always tried to be brave. (She was best friends with Harry Potter after all.) Not only that, but she was supposed to be a Gryffindor. But at that moment she had to admit to herself that she was scared- no- she was terrified. She had endured The Cruciatus Curse by the crazy woman in front of her and really didn't want it to happen again. Thankfully Hermione was never truly alone.

"Get away from her!" She knew the voice belonged to a certain ill tempered Weasley. Bellatrix and Dolohov turned to face the girl giving Hermione the chance to grab her wand from a few feet away from her and run to the red heads side.

"Awww how sweet....and pathetic." Bellatrix taunts firing hexes.

"Ginny! We need to find Luna!" Hermione yelled at her. Ginny nodded her head and sent a 'Reducto' at Dolohov the same time Hermione aimed her wand at Bellatrix and yelled "Stupefy!" She grabbed the Weasley's hand and started toward the courtyard once again.

"She's dressed different than everyone else and I mean—she's very hard to miss

"She's dressed different than everyone else and I mean—she's very hard to miss." Ginny says.

Hermione nodded and they raced through the crowd. Hermione only stopped when she heard someone shout "NEVILLE!" from behind her. Ginny spun around the same time Hermione did. Standing fighting a Death Eater they saw Neville. They also saw someone else sneaking up behind him. "Go Ginny! Find Luna! I'll meet you in in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom!" Hermione yelled, not waiting for a response and immediately sending a nonverbal spell to whoever was trying to sneak up on Neville.

Ginny didn't need to be told twice, she took off racing through the halls looking for the platinum blonde girl—occasionally sending a jinx or two in the direction of anyone who needed it.

Hermione fought by Neville's side until both Death Eaters were down. She gave Neville a small smile and a nod before going to leave. "Wait Hermione!"

She turned to face the scarred boy who was frowning. "Luna told me that Dumbledore asked you guys to do something for him. And I know you don't know exactly what you're going to do yet but I just wanted to say bye. If you guys have to go somewhere or if- well- you know."

Hermione felt terrible. "Neville nothing is going to happen to us or to you. But it might be a while until we see you. Or we can see you in a few minutes. You're so much braver than you think Nev. The school would have fallen without you. I'll see you again. I promise." She let a tear fall down her cheek. Sure, Neville had never been the smartest. But when you got to know him he was a really great kid. Hermione was always teaching him things about muggles and he was always helping her out in Herbology. They would spend some nights talking in the Common Room and he even came to visit her in the Library bringing along any meal she had missed. He had even confined in her about his crush on Luna.