chapter 2

Nick groaned and found himself looking at Princess Kahlan. His left side was burning and he felt something running down his side.

"Nick, are you alright?"

"You have to get away."

"I'm not leaving you." Kahlan said. Nick was about to protest when he gasp in pain.

"Are you alright?" Kahlan asked in worried voice.

"Just help me get up." Nick said.

They were only able to walk twenty feet before the pain in Nick side got too great. He had to recover fast or they'll get them for sure. They were about to get going, when someone laughed behind them. They turned and stared death in the eye.

It was Janga.

Janga had hair so black; it could blend in with the night. He had intense green eyes. He wore his usual green uniform.

"Did you think you could get away so easily?" He asked. They didn't answer.

"Just hand over the Princess and you won't get hurt."

"Over my dead body" Nick said

Janga smiled and said "I was hoping you would say that." Then he punched Nick in the stomach. Nick bent over; Janga kneed him in the face. Princess Kahlan went to grab him, but she was too slow. Janga held him by his throat, and through against a tree, then through him on the ground. Nick laid there winded and holding his left side in pain. Kahlan ran to him with tears running down her sides of her face.

"Run." Nick said between clench teeth.

"What?"

"Leave me and save yourself."

"How cute is that, the little boy is trying to save the princess." Janga said in a mocking voice. Then he kicked Nick in his left side. Nick screamed in pain.

"Stop it!" Kahlan screamed and put herself between Janga and Nick. Janga laughed. Nick vision started to blur, and he wondered if he was dying.

The last thing he had remembered was Janga taking Prince Kahlan away as she screamed his name.

He had lost her.

He had failed.

There was no hope.

The world was going to die.