Chapter Sixteen

Depuis le début

When Rosalind woke the day of the picnic, she could see the sun shining weakly through the window. Evan had already left the bedroom, much to her disappointment. "A letter for you, my lady," Ingram said as she set the breakfast tray on Rosalind's lap.

Apprehensively, Rosalind stared at the sealed letter resting on the tray. Her stomach twisted and not just from the nausea that had plagued her once again that morning. The handwriting was vaguely familiar, but she couldn't place where she had seen it.

"Thank you," Rosalind said, dismissing her openly curious maid with a nod. Some instinct made her certain this was not a message she wanted to read with an observer on hand. "I will ring for you when I wish to dress."

When she was once again alone, Rosalind took a deep breath. She reached out and gingerly lifted the letter. The seal was unremarkable, and she broke it with ease. She unfolded the paper and began to read, her eyes widening at each word.

My dearest Lady,

I hope this finds you well. I dare not suppose you are pinning for me as much as I am for you. London is empty without your sweet manners and charming smile, little though you deigned to bestow either on me.

For a moment, Rosalind wanted nothing more than to crumple the letter into a ball and throw it into the fireplace. Only one man had ever tried such sickening flattery. A glance at the bottom of the page revealed two initials: J.R.

"John Rowley," Rosalind said, scowling at the paper. "What trouble are you trying to stir up now?"

Surely by now, you have heard from your lovely sister-in-law what the old gossips have been spreading with so much glee. Of course, I cannot lie and deny the passion I have for you, Fair Rosalind. Even penning your name sends a thrill through my heart.

At the same time, I confess to being affected by the distress I know you must be feeling. What, I wonder, would you give to have these rumors banished by a strong voice? What would your husband pay to save your reputation? His family cannot like this change in circumstance.

Gasping, Rosalind sat straight up, heedless of her tea. The tea splashed across the bedclothes as she swung her legs over the side of the bed. "That snake! How dare he? He cannot mean—"

But what else could he mean?

I know this to be a serious matter for you to consider over your morning chocolate. Think, my dearest Rosalind. It would bring me much pleasure to be your knight and champion in this matter. I await your response with eager anticipation.

Yours,

J.R.

Her hands shaking, Rosalind folded the letter. Though she knew it would be further fuel to the angry already brewing in her husband, she knew without a doubt Evan had to see this latest insult. How her husband would react, she couldn't even begin to imagine.

I know this to be a serious matter for you to consider over your morning chocolate.

That phrase rang through Rosalind's mind, and she unfolded the paper to make sure she had read the words correctly. She had. The ink was stark against the paper, the words unmistakable.

"How on earth did he know I usually have chocolate in the morning?" Rosalind said aloud, unsettled by the question. "How would he know I would receive this with my breakfast tray? The post could be delivered at any time."

If they'd been at her brother-in-law's townhouse, she would have had an entire household to be suspect. However, she was in the country. It wasn't possible Emily's servants would have had contact with Rowley, was it? Such an idea made no sense.