chapter 2

Mike walked out of the bedroom and slowly down the steps of the metal staircase. He walked behind Micky and hit him upside his head.

"Hey! What was that for?!"

"I just felt like doing that."

"Oh. Please don't do that again. You'll give me a headache."

"No promises. If i feel like doing it, you know I will."

"Please spare me Mike. I don't have much of a brain left."

"Funny. I thought you didn't have one." Mike said in a joking manner.

"Hey. I got a perfectly good sized brain thank you very much."

"Alright. Go ahead and say that." Mike turned his back to Micky as he had a huge smile on his face.

"I think we are getting the old Mike back." Davy said as he approached the kitchen looking to get something to drink.

"Well, I mean, I keep depressing myself just thinking about what had happened. I haven't been the same since I saw that murder take place. I need to forget about it, but I can't." I'm betting Micky has always wondered why I have been sleeping in. Well, I can't sleep at night."

"I know that Mike. That's why I haven't told you to go to bed even though you tried to pretend you were asleep."

"Well, I tend to fall asleep around 6am right before daylight hits. My mind just goes all over the place. Basically, I can't think straight and I think most at night."

"It'll take time to get over it. We all went through quite the ordeal and we can't just forget it. Some people take longer to recover." Peter said trying to encourage the rest of them.

"Petah is right. With Me and Micky, it didn't take long to recover because it didn't happen to us. It happened to you and Petah. It does look like we are getting the old Mike back. Petah, we got a little of him back. We are still waiting for both of you to get back to normal."

"3 months. Its been 3 months. You would think we would be over it by now." Peter pointed out.

"Pete's right." Mike agreed.

"So, what do you wanna do Mike?"

"Good question. I'll tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go take a walk until I think of something."

"Okay. Want one of us to come with you?"

"Nah. I'll be fine."

Mike took off out the front door to his favorite trail. The one he went to so he could clear his head if anything was bothering him. He stopped at one section and looked straight ahead. He remembered what happened 3 months ago and being chased by four of their enemies. He remembered running up some trees and simply tying up Babyface after jumping on him from up high.

It was a bad idea to come to this trail. He really needs to find a new trail to go on. He couldn't stand this trail anymore. He can't face what happened to him and his friends.

He just couldn't bring himself on that trail. I'll go look for another one. He thought. He knew exactly where another one was. It intersected with this one. It was a mile back the other way. Maybe he could try that one.

He began walking toward the other trail. He has never been on it so he doesn't know where it leads or what to expect on it.

Once he arrived at the trail, he glanced left, then right and examined it a bit. This seems simple. He thought again.

Mike heard a car backfiring from behind and jumped 10 feet in the air. He put his hand to his chest trying to calm himself down.

"I need to be more alert."

He began heading back to the pad. Once he got there, he still looked a bit terrified from that car backfiring right behind him.

Mike opened the front door and walked inside. "Hey Mike. You've been gone a while."

"Oh yeah. I found a new trail to go walking on. It intersects with the other trail."

"So, you're going to stop going to that trail?" Micky asked a bit concerned.

"Maybe not completely. Just not right now. I can't go on that trail without thinkin' of what happened to us that one day that all of us went."

"Yeah. I know what you mean. So, where's this other trail at?" Peter asked.

"It's a mile back from the beginning of the other trail. Well, the beginning where we start that is."

Mike sat down on the couch.

"You alright?" Davy asked wondering why Mike looked scared.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Oh no reason. It just looked like something scared you again."

"Oh no. Nothing like that."

"You sure Mike?"

"Okay. A car backfired. I simply thought it was a gunshot. That's it."

Davy, Micky and Peter all relaxed. They all thought he witnessed another murder and was going to hide it again.

"Thank goodness it was only that Mike." Micky said.

"You're telling me." Mike snickered.

2 hours later

By now, all the monkees were doing their own thing. Micky was on the hammock apparently sleeping, Davy and Peter were playing chess again and Mike had fallen asleep on the couch. His long legs dangled from the end of it.

It was about dinner time and Davy got up so he could cook some dinner for all of them. He wasn't sure how hungry Mike and Micky were considering the fact that they both were sleeping.

"Hey, anything you prefer for dinner tonight Petah?" Davy asked as he opened the refrigerator.

"No. It doesn't matter to me. As long as I eat something." He snickered.

Mike turned over letting his arm dangle from the couch.

Davy and Peter both eyed Mike. "Man. I couldn't sleep like that. I don't know how he can. How can he sleep with his feet off the couch like that?" Peter began to question.

"Who knows? Sleeping like that would probably hurt me too much. I couldn't do it."