Chapter II - The One With The New Year

Taken from The One With The Monkey (EP10xSE01)

A year went by and my friendship with Joey grew in such a way. We were so much close. A bromance, to be more exact. He was an incredible guy. Most of the time he was dumb, but smart and at other times very sweet and gentle. I didn't imagine that I was feeling anything more for him, let alone he would imagine that of me. Despite all this, I knew it was no chance. Reason? Joey is the kind of guy that catches all girls and worst of all: straight. I don't know if I was really feeling anything for him. That was different. A part of me didn't like that. Was it because I felt something real for someone or because I felt something and didn't think it was right because it was a feeling for another guy? Like father like son? Could I be more tormented by this? But another part accepted this growing feeling. So on the New Year's Eve of 1994 to 1995 something inside me was awakened: when he kissed me.

In the morning, as usual, we were sitting on the sofa in the Central Perk.

"So you guys, I'm doing all new material tonight. I have twelve new songs about my mother's suicide, and one about a snowman", said Phoebe a little smiling.

"Might wanna open with the snowman", I replied.

So Joey just got back from the store.

"Hey, Joey. Hey, buddy", we all salute him.

"So, how'd it go?" Monica asked about his role as Santa Claus.

"Ahhhhhh, I didn't get the job", Joey replied in a discouraged tone.

"How could you not get it? You were Santa last year", said Ross indignantly.

"I dunno. Some fat guy's sleeping with the store manager. He's not even jolly, it's all political", Joey answered back to Ross.

"So what are you gonna be?", Monica asked.

"Ah, I'm gonna be one of his helpers. It's just such a slap in the face, y'know?", Joey kept discouraged.

I was sad for him at that moment. Of course, he is my friend and we hope that the best happens to our friends, right? I remember when he got the role of Santa. He came back all smiling talking to me. That was exactly the time he came to live with me. One year ago.

"Hey, do you guys know what you're doing for New Year's?" Rachel asked and we started to protest and hit her with cushions. "Gee, what?! What is wrong with New Year's?"

" Nothing for you, you have Paolo. You don't have to face the horrible pressures of this holiday: desperate scramble to find anything with lips just so you can have someone to kiss when the ball drops!!" I kept talking louder and louder. " Man, I'm talking loud!"

"Well, for your information, Paolo is gonna be in Rome this New Year, so I'll be just as pathetic as the rest of you."

"Yes, you wish!" replied Phoebe wryly.

Every year our New Year's Eve was almost the same, not to mention that I'm always alone on holidays and this time I thought of something different and I suggested.

"I have an idea: dinner", I suggested.

So Ross acted like a detective. "It's perfect. We'll put it between lunch and breakfast", said Ross popping sound with lips.

"It's just that I'm sick of being a victim of this Dick Clark holiday", I said in a tone of hopelessness. "I say this year, no dates, we make a pact. Just the six of us- dinner."