1

five years later

Fred

"Idiot!" I yelled, slamming my phone down.

I stood up, my palm against my forehead as I walked away from my desk. The chatter around me wasn't exactly helping my splitting headache.

My PA looked up from her computer. "Hey, Mr. King, can I get anything for you?"

"Thanks, Mere, but I could use the air," I said, smiling down at her. I rolled up my sleeves and unbuttoned the top button of my shirt.

I walked down the hallway and opened the glass doors into Jo's office, my jaw set angrily. I walked through his office without speaking to him, immediately heading to the cabinet on the other side of the room.

"Wrong side of the bed again?" Jo asked, making me shoot him a glare over my shoulder.

"Don't ask."

"I wasn't asking," he deadpanned, "I know you need to sleep on the r-"

I slammed the cabinet shut after grabbing an Aleve. He chuckled, throwing me a bottle of water across the room.

"Hey, what did I say about playing catch in your office, Mr. King?"

I just furrowed my brows, looking at Jo's assistant. I wasn't sure how exactly he dealt with her. I couldn't do anything but look at her all day, because she was annoying. But hot, nonetheless.

"I was just throwing him a water," Jo said, "promise, I wouldn't dare break the window again. I know you hate the shaggy blonde headed guy from the window treatment company."

She smiled and patted the doorframe. Amanda was full-figured, and confident. She walked around like she knew her worth, and she was aware of her beauty. Long, dark hair that covered her back when she rarely wore it down and out of her slicked-back bun.

"I don't know how you deal with her."

"What do you mean?" Jo asked, leaning forward in his chair.

"She's a smart ass," I deadpanned, taking a sip of my water with the Aleve.

He shrugged. "I'm a smart ass, too."

"Trust me, I know."

"What's got you so pissed?" He asked, looking up at me with a concerned look on his face.

"That meeting I orchestrated for a month straight with Todd? Yeah, it's off."

He furrowed his brows. "I wonder why?"

"I don't know," I said, "but it pissed me off. His fucking PA had to tell me, too, because he's probably busy ruining other business opportunities."

Jo just lifted a brow, leaning back in his chair. "His loss."

I could see Meredith walking towards Jo's office from the corner of my eye, making me take one last sip of water.

"Hey, Mr. King."

Jo and I both turned towards the door and I just looked down at him.

Meredith giggled and looked down, her cheeks a tinge of pink. "You've got a call from William Cooper, he's demanding to speak to at least one of the men behind King Corp."

I followed her through the hallway. She stopped at Amanda's desk and I ran into her, my hand resting on her hip. "Damn, I'm sorry, Mere."

She seemed unfazed, her focus on Amanda's lower half. "Where'd you get that skirt? It's so adorable."