one | move-in

one | move-in day 

Dani

If only his personality matched his face, things would have gone much smoother, I thought.

"Dani, for fucks' sake. Stop moping around about Vince, he isn't worth it. Plus, I need you to tell me if this wall art is crooked," my younger sister stressed. I am joining her for her first week in college. She's a bit nervous and insisted I stay for a little while. That, and our parents couldn't make this trip to LA, and I've been waiting for the day I could vacate from my mundane job back home on the east coast.

"I'm not thinking about Vince," I lie, obviously. "It looks great, Amari. You made these yourself," I ask.

"Yeah, I got them printed out in the lab before my last school final," she beams. Amari is a graphic design major and she's quite impressive if I do say so myself. "I'm excited to see the media lab and I read that design students can use the printers for free."

"Oh, speaking of, we can stop by the craft store for the rest of your supplies. Someone should be able to help us out with the technicalities this afternoon and maybe we can go to an electronic store for your digital class before the rush tomorrow morning. It will give us time to explore the school store, too. Mom wants some collectables and, of course, Dad just wants a t-shirt."

Our parents weren't able to make it out for Amari's first day, but they really wanted to be here. Amari sort of liked the idea that it would be me and her on her first week in college. They had a tendency of stressing out everyone around them and that is the opposite of what Amari needs right now.

"Ugh, I hate taking painting classes, I'm just not good at it. Vince tried to help but that went left," she groaned. I gulp, trying not to visibly grimace at his name. "Dani, I'm sorry. I was just rambling on, I won't mention him anymore."

"Amari, it's fine," I say, continuing to clean, quickly going back to the topic at hand. "We all had to take pre-requisites, and some of them are to make you a well rounded person, even though they are definitely a pain. It'll go by faster than you think, promise. By the way, I think I saw Emma in the lobby checking in when I went for the cleaning supplies."

"Oh, perfect. I'm so glad I was fortunate enough to go to the same school as Emma. I don't think I could handle random assignment," Amari sighs, hanging up her wall-tapestry.

"Tell me about it. I never want to see my freshman year roommate ever again," I agree, disinfecting her desk and drawers.

After we were done sorting her dorm room out, and helping Emma and her parents do her side as well, Amari and I went shopping for the rest of her art supplies. We needed a bit of help, so we walk to the counter where a guy seems to be almost finished helping someone and has a badge on that reads Need Assistance? Ask me.

"Yeah, Kras I'll have that ready for you tomorrow. I'll let you know when it's going to be returned to the campus. Most likely around noon or so." He and the guy I thinks name is Kras did a handshake before the guy turned to leave. He was tall, blonde and had a cute haircut. I didn't think I was staring, but apparently I might have been. "Hi, sweetheart," he smiles, and winks before leaving. 

"Dani, you were drueling," my sister laughs.  The guy who worked here wrote a few things down before tending to us, meaning he didn't see me just embarass myself, thankfully. "I'm Raj, what can I help you with today?"

"I'm looking for some of the tools on my supply list, I'm not sure what some of these things even are," Amari explains.

"No problem, I've taken this class before so I can tell you what you probably won't ever need from this list, too." He took us around the store and helped us find everything we needed. He gave Amari advice on how to navigate the professor she would have and we even found out he was also a graphic design major.

Raj also told us he worked in the Media Rental service desk where cameras and things of the sorts were available for students to check out. 

"Are you in school, too?" He asks me.

"No, I graduated a year ago. I have a little while before I go back for the next degree," I shrug. He nods in understanding and finishes checking us out at the register. 

"Okay, have a good rest of your day and see you around school, Amari," he smiles before taking the next person in line. 

"Dani, is it okay if I stay with you tonight?"

"Yeah, is everything okay with you and Emma?" 

"Yes, everything is good. I just want to spend more time with you, you know. I'm not all that ready to sleep in the dorm just yet," she says, looking more nervous than I've ever seen my little sister.

"Of course, stay as long as I'm here. The AirBnb is big enough for the both of us."

"And that guy was cute, you should've gotten his number," she laughs.

"Oh my gosh, wasn't he," I agree. "I should have, man. I really should have. I guess it's too late, now."

. . .

Thanks for reading!