Chapter Two: Screw Up

"Frankly, I don't understand why you put up with that." I rolled my eyes. After touring the house, we went home to make dinner and invited Ben along as thanks for taking the kids last night. He insisted on helping me cook, so Aaron stayed in the living room and entertained the kids. "If he said he was going to be there he should've been there."

"So, kind of like when your husband promises to stay by you and then leaves?" He stopped prepping the salad looking at me. I sighed. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." He shook his head.

"No, you're right. I was a moron, which is how I know that yesterday, he was a moron. And I can almost guarantee that if he was a moron once, he'll be a moron again."

"Then what am I doing inviting you over for dinner then?" I asked. It was his turn to sigh now.

"I'm just trying to look out for you, Lizzie."

"Well, I don't need you to look out for me. I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions, luckily for you. However, speaking of you looking out for people...how did things go with Emily before she left?"

"You know...things were good. We got along really well, got dinner one time, but she knew she wanted to leave pretty early on, so she made it abundantly clear that our relationship wasn't going to go anywhere." I nodded.

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that." I grabbed the lasagna out of the oven, carrying it to the dining room and setting it down on the table. He followed me with the salad.

"Something smells good." Aaron said, coming into the dining room. "Looks good too."

"So that leaves us to conclude?" I asked, smirking up at him.

"That its going to be fantastic." He leaned over, pressing a quick kiss to my lips.

"I'm sure it will be, so if you could not contaminate it with your PDA germs, that would be great." Ben said. I rolled my eyes, walking over to the living room door and calling the kids to come eat. When I turned back to the table, both Aaron and Ben had a hand on the back of the chair at the head of the table, and were looking at each other uncomfortably. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What are you guys doing?" I asked. They looked up at me, as if suddenly remembering I was there.

"Nothing. Just...went for the same seat at the same time." Ben explained. "Boyfriend of the host, father of her children...who sits at the head of the table?"

"Well, simple answer...I do." I answered, sitting down in the chair they were standing beside. They sat down on either side of me and then the kids filled in the rest of the spots, with Charlotte beside Ben, Sadie beside Aaron, and Jack on the end. "Can you guys help the kids fix their plates?"

"Oh, I've got it." Ben said, urging Aaron not to move. 

"Well, I can help." He started with Jack's plate, seeing as Jack was his son, and Ben went to Charlotte. They scooped food onto the plates and then both reached for Sadie's plate at the same time. They both stared at her, holding the plate between them."She's on this side. I can do it."

"Nonsense. She's my daughter. Allow me."

"its really ok-"

"Fine, I'll do it." I took the plate from their hands.  "Why are you guys acting so weird?"

"Sorry. I just, got overexcited." Aaron said. "Lots to be excited about, you know? Have you told Ben our news?"

"No, I don't think she has. What news?" Ben asked, putting a bite of lasagna in his mouth.

"Well, we just made the decision today, so I was going to wait, but since you've already pointed out that we have news, I guess we have to tell him."

"Tell me what?!" He asked.

"Aaron and I are buying a house together." I said, looking up at him. He raised his eyebrows.

"Really?" I nodded. "I...isn't that a bit soon? I mean, you guys haven't been together that long. What if something happens and then you're drowning in Mortgage payments?"

"We don't have any. We didn't have to take out a loan. The previous owner gave us a great deal because Aaron helped on a case a while back.' I said, putting a fork-full of lasagna in my mouth.

"Ah-ha. Its just...what if you guys break up? Buying a house together, that's a big thing-"

"You guys are going to break up?" Charlotte asked with sad, scared eyes.

"What? No, sweetie. Your Dad is just-"

"What does break up mean?" Sadie asked.

"It means Mommy and Aaron won't be together anymore. Jack and him will leave." Charlotte said.

"No!" Sadie cried.

"I don't want you to break up." Jack quietly told his Dad. I didn't have to be a profiler to see that Aaron's situation with Haley was floating into the kid's mind.

"Nobody is breaking up with anybody, no one is going anywhere." I told them, giving Ben a pointed look. "Ben, can I talk to you in the kitchen for a moment." He sighed, shooting Aaron a look before tossing his napkin onto the table and walking into the kitchen. I followed after him, running my hands over Aaron's shoulders as I went. Once we got into the kitche, I shut the door. "What the heck was that?! Why would you say something like that?! Especially in front of the kids!" he sighed, leaning against the island and crossing his arms.

"Ok...I shouldn't have said it in front of the kids, but you can't seriously be buying a house with him! You barely know the guy!"

"I do know him, both from our friendship before we started dating as well as two near-death experiences. If we've learned anything these past few months, its that life is too short and when you have people in your life that you love, you need to act fast-"

"That's how divorces and messy breakups happen, Lizzie!" He exclaimed.

"I guess you would know." I shot back. I didn't mean to say it. It just came out, and I knew as soon as the hurt flashed in his eyes that it was a mistake. "I didn't mean that-'

"Is this what forgiveness is to you, Lizzie?" He asked. "Using every possible opportunity to throw my past mistakes back in my face?"

"No, I...I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." He nodded.

"I'm just looking out for you...like I should've been doing all along."

"And I appreciate the thought, I do but...I don't need you to look out for me." I said quietly. He nodded again.

"Right," He said bitterly, "Because you have Aaron now. How could I forget?"

"I don't need him looking out for me either." I said, moving my head into his line of sight. "Look, the past is past, and I'm sorry I ever brought it up but I haven't had anyone to look out for me in years. I can take care of myself...and I can make my own decisions. I'm moving in with Aaron, and as my friend...and the father to my children...I hope you can support me." He sighed.

"I will always support you." He pointed out. "Its him that I don't support." I furrowed my eyebrows. "I mean...I know I'm not husband or father of the year or anything but...I don't trust him. When it comes to family stuff, he's a screw up." 

"How can you even say that? You don't know him." 

"I'm a screw up," He answered, "A screw up can spot a screw up from a mile away, and that's what he is. I'm sorry to burst your bubble." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Maybe you should take dinner to go." I said. His eyes widened.

"I can't believe this! You're kicking me out all because I insulted your boyfriend? Its not like I said it to his face-" I walked over to the cabinet, grabbing a Tupperware container and shoving it against his chest. He shook his head, scoffing. "Unbelievable."

He walked out, and I stayed behind. I could hear voices, but not what they were saying, and then I heard the front door close. I leaned against the Island, biting my nails when Aaron came into the kitchen.

"I take it that went well." He said, leaning against the wall. I shook my head.

"I don't even want to talk about it. I want to eat and then go to bed."