You felt your jaw drop when she revealed this, nearly launching yourself out of your seat, "Wh—"

"We're offering to pay the entirety of your cost of attendance this year," Mr. Zhong cut you off firmly, and your eyebrows shot up, waiting for the catch. "If you would befriend Chenle."

Gnawing on your bottom lip, you looked between them incredulously, "I have... a couple questions."

"Go ahead."

"Tuition, meal plan, fees, everything?"

"Even for any equipment you need for swimming."

You let out a long breath, "Wow. Uh, another question. Why me?"

"From what your guidance counselor says, you're fairly popular amongst your peers, captain of the girls' swim team, intelligent, driven, and unlike most kids that go here, are abnormally humble and kind. Probably due to your poorer upbringing." As Mr. Zhong analyzed you, you tried not to be offended, just primarily caught very, very off-guard. "And you share several classes as well as lunch with Chenle, which serves as an ideal time to interact and introduce him to other students."

"You want me to hang out with him, and introduce him to my friends?"

"Anybody who you think won't be... unpleasant to him." Mrs. Zhong clarified, assuming that you were friends with some less-than-pleasant people. Which wasn't exactly wrong, some of your teammates were easily classified as preppy bitches, but they weren't necessarily your friends.

Kneading your hands into your knees, you chewed on the inside of your cheek in thought. They were both looking at you in earnest, impatiently awaiting your answer. There was still one thing bothering you.

"Will my parents know that you're paying for it? They would never accept any sort of money from you."

The Zhongs exchanged looks, Mr. Zhong speaking up, "We can make arrangements for it to appear as if it's still the scholarship covering the costs."

"Then uh, sure. Yeah, I'll be Chenle's friend." You declared, earning a wide smile from his father as his mother grabbed both of your hands to squeeze them appreciatively.

"Your first class with him is your study period at 10:00." Mr. Zhong informed you as he started ushering you to stand up and gather your things. "I recommend you start then."

"Sure, sure." You opened the door yourself, turning to them for one last polite bow and a thank you. "Thank you very much, Mr. and Mrs. Zhong."

"We'll hopefully being seeing you again soon, Y/N." The wife patted your cheek before you left, passing the bursar on the way out as he walked back to his office, presumably to start making the arrangements for the payments.

Slinging your backpack back onto your shoulders, you left your history class with one of your teammates in tow. Well, more like leeched onto you, as he had been since freshman year. As soon as you'd hesitantly sat beside Lee Donghyuck in your Literature class on your first day at Brenton Academy, you hadn't been able to get rid of him. Although, he'd never admit to being the clingy one first.

"So what do you want to play next period? Fuck, marry, kill?" Donghyuck suggested as the two of you walked down the halls together towards your next period that you also shared. "Yukhei says he's got some new ones that are even grosser than normal."

"While that sounds as lovely as ever," You snorted sarcastically, "I'm afraid I can't sit with you guys today."

"Why not? Oh, is this one of those days where you study because you're actually a good student unlike the rest of us?"