More Than Friends -Book One

"Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has no opposite in fear; the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star." E.E. Cummings

Chapter One

Damn it! Just as I thought. Slamming my palm on my steering wheel. One would think you could get a close parking spot arriving to the school forty-five minutes early, however, obviously not on the first day of school. Every other student must have had the same idea. Once I had finally parked my car, I grabbed my purse, backpack, and coffee then I head towards the front doors of the Student Center. The Student Center houses the library. I have some time to waste before class starts, and I need to start reading for my Lit 205 class. I won't have any time to read it tonight, as I have agreed to bartend for my best friend Keely.

Keely Greenwood has been my sanity for the last ten years. She is my very best friend, and there is not one thing in this world I wouldn't say or do for her. I promise the feeling is mutual. Keely is also my family. I lost my parents in a car accident a week before my eighteenth birthday. Our families were so close that the court allowed me to move in with the Greenwood's until I graduated high school. Keely's dad, Bill, owns Thunderfoot Junction, the saloon we both work at. Thunderfoot Junction used to be an old train station in town. The stationed closed 5 years ago, and Bill saw an opportunity to keep it from being another Check in To Cash place.

As I push through the student filled halls, a small amount of anxiety fills me. The threat of deadlines, research papers, labs, and the dreaded midterms cloud my head. Likewise, a small part of me was excited for my senior year of college, and of course graduating.

When I arrived at the Student Center Library, a handful of students were scattered on desktop computers. I decide at the last minute to run in and grab a seat at the furthest computer from the door. My phone vibrates, and frightens me, as I sit in the empty seat. Grabbing my cell from my front pocket of my hoodie wondering to myself, which friend is up this early? Two Missed Messages. I must have missed a text earlier. My two best friends since high school: Keely Greenwood and Ryan Jordan.

I click missed messages to read.

Keely: Good Luck Hooker! Thanks for working my shift tonight!

Ryan: Hey u working 2nite? My cousin just moved to town. Taking him out for a drink or 8 -u in?

I instantly smile and reply to Keely:

Me: Ha no worries. Have fun!

Ryan Jordan, is my rock and best friend number two. He was there from my first day of school freshman year. He was a shoulder to cry on when I lost my home and parents. I can honestly say he has been there for me even through bad dates. As a bonus, I can steal his clothes without a complaint from him. He also took my Dad's place in talking sports with me. We are completely honest with each other about everything. I'm sure I have heard every detail of every single one night stand he has had completely against my will, but I listen. I have no idea why he isn't in a committed relationship. He is an amazing guy. He just hasn't found the right person for him. I love him to the moon and back.

Checking my Fitbit, I have about thirty minutes till class. I decide to log on to computer. My phone vibrates again.

Keely: Text me l8r, I want 2 hear about it

Me: Nothing exciting so far. Hanging in library till class

Keely: It's 7:30am!

Me: Guess I was hoping for free coffee, streaking...something!