A W O K E N

A/N:

Guys, when Aniket's mother mentions 'freak accident', it means that Aniket was kidnapped by Prakash and she didn't know about it. Chinna does not reveal that to her.

🌺🌺🌺

"So you asked her to be your surrogate, then you forcefully made her your surrogate, then you forgot all about her in a freak accident. Not only that, you left a pregnant woman all alone for three months—after slapping the poor girl— then after she finally gave birth, you listen to other idiots, and try to ask her to murder one of your sons?" His mother asked with a heaving breath.

"Ma, you do know that you're referring to yourself as an idiot, right?" Aniket asked with a eyebrow raised. 

"I know what I said!" Maykala mused, as a deep frown controlled her worn features. "But I am disgusted by you, babu." His mother said, the wrinkles around her eyes dipping in disappointment. She had raised her son to be a gentleman— or so, she had thought. But that was not so. He had been manipulated by others— including herself— and her gullible dunderhead of a son had believed every drip of his enemies' nonsense.

And he continued to do so.

Her eyes moved towards his best friend, sitting comfortably on the love seat. She hated Chinna. Never liked him. Maykala knew that Chinna was Aniket's best friend— maybe even his only friend, but she could never come to trust him.

There was something about him. She couldn't place it, but the look in his eyes was enough.

After all, he had seen the same type of evilness in her husband's eyes as he plotted his enemies' downfall.

"Ma, hurting Krithi wasn't my intention." Aniket argued, his hands adjoined like he was in deep prayer.

"But you did hurt her." Maykala accused him. "Do you know how long it took her her to stop seeing her own sons as monsters? She thought it was because of them that you left her forever. That it was their luck. She wasn't even sentimental; it was one of the reasons I liked her. She is a educated woman. They got her to believe such idiotic things." His mother turned her head in disgust. "It's not her fault. After a month of your presumed death, her mother started to pressure her to get remarried. When she refused, her mother, her father, her relatives— why, her own friends even shunned her for being widowed. A man can make thousands of mistakes, babu, but if a woman was assumed to have made a mistake, then this society will not see her as a part of their circle."

Aniket hung his head in shame. For the past two months, he had been only concerned about himself. He thought he was the one hurt, the one to be betrayed by his family for trying to convince him to speak to Krithi about aborting one of his own children.

God, he had been selfish, swimming in his own dark well like a frog.

"What do I do to fix it, ma? Name it, and I'll do anything to get your daughter-in-law back." He ruffles his hair, springing out of his chair like a rocket with a set destination. "God, I shouldn't faked my own death. I feel like such a coward for running away from her."

"And you are!" She yelled. Maykala gasped, looking up to monitor the stairs. She was afraid her husband heard of the commotion.

The poor woman, Chinna thought. She did not know of Chinna and Prakash's plans. She was a oblivious star in the middle of a million of her outshining competitors.

In a lower tone, Maykala started her yelling again. "I cannot believe I have raised such a coward." She saw her son fume in anger with that one hurtful connotation. "I can't believe you hurt my daughter the way you did. Where did you learn that slapping a woman was okay, babu?" She moved in closer to him, determined to make him understand that what he did was wrong.