When the Gryffindors approached — the Slytherins had already arrived — the witch with short gray hair said sharply, "Finally. Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, hurry up."

Edward strode forward and stood between Ron and Onyx. His broom looked too splintery to sit on.

"Stick your right hand over your broom," Madam Hooch continued, "and say, 'Up!'"

"Up," Edward said in a calm voice. The broom instantly shot into his hand, as did Harry's and Ruby's. Onyx's rolled over lazily, while Ron's didn't move at all.

Madam Hooch then showed them how to mount their brooms without sliding off the end, and walked up and down the rows correcting their grips. She gave Edward an impressed look when she didn't have to correct his. This made Edward stifle a snort; she hadn't seen his flying yet.

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard," Madam Hooch ordered. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle — three — two-"

But Neville jumped before the whistle, and he zoomed straight up in the air. He rose ten, then twenty feet, and the fell off his broom.

There was a loud thud and crack as Neville hit the ground, and Edward winced when he saw that his wrist was crooked.

Seeing that the excitable boy's broom was still rising, Edward pulled out his wand and yelled, "Accio Broom!"

The broom shot towards him and he caught it.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," Madam Hooch said stiffly as she helped Neville stand. "Will you kindly stop showing off?"

"That wasn't my intention, ma'am," Edward replied calmly, "but I won't use magic during class, if you don't want me to."

Her expresssion softened a bit. "Mr. Edward Potter is in charge while I take Longbottom to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Qudditch.' Come on, dear." She pulled Neville off towards the castle.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Malfoy let out a howl of laughter.

"Did you see his face, the great lump?"

The other Slytherins snickered as well.

"Draco," Edward said coolly.

Malfoy gave him a nasty look, but he was distracted by something on the ground. "Look! It's the thing Longbottom's gran sent him!" He held up the Remembrall.

"Draco, give that here now," Edward said quietly, narrowing his eyes.

Malfoy glared at him. "I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find. How about a tree?"

"Draco!" Edward barked, but Malfoy had already leaped on the broom and was soaring towards an oak nearby.

"Come and get it, Potter!" Malfoy sneered as he hovered near the top of the tree.

"I'll get it," said Harry, climbing onto his broom.

"Harry, no-" Edward began. It was no use: Harry was already soaring after Malfoy, teeth gritted. Edwards felt a flash of triumph — he had been right about Harry's talent on a broomstick.

"Give it here," said Harry loudly, stopping a few feet from the shocked boy, "or I'll knock you off that broom!"

Harry, you don't know how to do that! That could get you both hurt!

"Oh, yeah?" Malfoy sneered, but he looked worried.

Harry shot towards him, making Edward yelp, but Malfoy got out of the way just in time. Ruby and Ron whooped at Harry, grinning, but Onyx looked rather pale.