07. When You Die

Começar do início

Five took a shaky breath in an attempt clear his head, "I-I'll fix you."

He lifted his hand slowly, hesitating before placing it gently onto her open palm.

Harper's hand slowly closed around his, holding it loosely.

He exhaled in relief, "Let's get you out of here."

Five had dragged her out of the rubble as carefully as possible, he spotted a building that was partially intact a few feet away that soon became their makeshift shelter.

He leaned her against what was left of a brick wall and her small frame slumped to the side, but barely remained balanced.

Five gave a sigh and sat down next to her, "Guess it's just us, huh?" He glanced over at her lifeless body, "What the hell happened?"

Harper was silent.

       "Typical," Five replied, "You've always held back."

He moved to get a better look at her, "Look, I'm not a mechanic, so fixing you is probably gonna take. . . a while." He noticed the glow from her shoulder had substantially faded, "Charging you up will probably help, I don't know where to find that shit now, though."

       "We'll look first thing tomorrow," He sighed, leaning back against the wall again, fatigue from spatial jumping combined with the soreness from moving rubble had finally hit him, "I'll fix you, trust me."

Trust me.

Harper sat on the steps in front of a large building labeled with a sign that read, Meritech Prosthetics, where she waited for Klaus and Five to emerge once they had finished whatever it was that they were doing. It had been Harper's decision to remain outside, much to Klaus' disappointment, as he had tried to convince her by saying he'd buy her a new arm, but Harper had then reminded him of his lack of money to purchase anything in general.

So there she was, watching the world pass by as she remained unmoving on the warm concrete stairs. She didn't mind it really, if anything she was happy to stay out of it, as she had come to the conclusion that she trusted Five's judgement better than her own. It wasn't difficult to put the pieces together, whatever Five had seen in the future must've included her, otherwise there wouldn't be any reasoning for his behavior, which lead to the thought that something bad must have occurred in his future, which unfortunately only made Harper more curious.

Harper quite liked the feeling of curiosity, it was not often that she had the ability to not know something. With each passing minute it was as if Harper gained another thought, and she wondered if that was what it felt like to be human, thinking all the time.

Roughly half an hour had passed before the sound of Klaus' voice came from the front doors of the building, Harper turned her head to see Klaus and Five heading in her direction. Klaus was grinning from ear to ear, bright red blood and strange specks of glitter glistened in the sunlight on his forehead, while Five scowled with a cut lip, clenching his fists at his sides.

      "Oh man Harper, you should've seen it," Klaus gestured to the large gash on his forehead, "This dude named- uh-"

      "Lance." said Five dully.