"Yes, sir. I do plead guilty, if I didn't, I would be lying," I answered and more cameras flashed. "But you must understand, Eleanor Flint didn't perform the assassinations, I was merely a puppet under control of HYDRA. I was holding a gun that they gave me, and they told me to pull the trigger."

"What makes you believe that we shouldn't lock you up in a prison?" The General asked me.

"Because I already served my time," I replied. "You saw the files, HYDRA was a prison on its own, punishing me in any way they could before locking me up in Cryogenic vessels for a couple of years, only to be brought back and repeat the horrifying process."

The General paused before looking to Natasha. "Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?"

"I don't know what's left for him to say," Natasha answered. "I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently."

"Well, he could explain how this country's expected to maintain its national security now that you three have laid waste on our intelligence apparatus." The General said.

"HYDRA was selling you lies, not intelligence," Natasha explained.

"Many of which you seem to have had a personal hand in telling." The General replied.

"Agent, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service record, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary, not mouthing off on Capitol Hill." Committee member Scudder spoke up.

"You're not going to put me in a prison. You're not going to put any of us in a prison." Natasha said. "You know why?"

"Do enlighten us." Scudder tilted his head.

"Because you need us," I said. "The world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we helped make it that way. But we're the best-qualified people to defend it."

"If you want to arrest us, go ahead. You'll know where to find us." Natasha finished. 

The Committee looked at each other, not knowing what else to say. Natasha and I stood up and began to leave, the press following us, asking questions, holding their tape recorders out, and cameras flashing.

~~~

The ironic grave marked Nicholas J. Fury sat in front of us with flowers and American flags. Steve and Sam stood on either side of me while Natasha leaned against a tree.

Fury approached us wearing a hoodie and sunglasses. "So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?"

"You get used to it," Steve smiled. "They drove a car into a ditch for Ellie."

I sucked in air through my teeth. "Yeah, they did."

"We've been data-mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship." Fury explained. "I'm heading to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come."

"There's something I gotta do first," Steve replied and Fury looked to me.

"You know I'll follow him everywhere." I nodded towards Steve.

"How about you, Wilson? I could use a man with your abilities." Fury said to Sam.

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy," Sam answered.

"Alright then." Fury nodded and held out his hand for us each to shake. "If anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here." He looked down at his grave.

"Will do, Nick." I shook his hand. 

Nick Fury walked away and Natasha left her tree to speak with us. 

"You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you."

"You're not going with him?" I asked.

"No." Natasha shook her head.

"Not staying here?" Steve asked and Natasha smiled.

"I blew all my covers, I got to go figure out a new one." She said.

"Might take a little while, Nat." I joked.

"Oh, I'm counting on it." Natasha pulled a file out of her jacket. "That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." She handed it to Steve and he looked down at the file. "Will you do me a favor? Call that nurse."

"She's not a nurse." Steve smiled and I laughed.

"And you're not a SHIELD agent," Natasha said. "Her name's Sharon, she's nice."
She leaned up and kissed Steve on the cheek before hugging me and turning away.
"Be careful, Steve." She turned to face us again. "You might not want to pull on that thread." She nodded towards the file and then she left.

Steve opened it and I looked down, seeing that it was about Bucky and the information regarding his Winter Soldier transformation. There was a picture of his inside the Cryo chamber and I shuddered, but below that was a photo of him in his army uniform, before HYDRA, and I smiled. The pain in his eyes was replaced with hope.

"You're going after him?" Sam asked.

"You don't have to come with us," Steve said.

"I know. When do we start?" Sam smiled.

I looked back at the World War II photo of Bucky, the hope in his eyes reflected the hope in mine. I'll bring you back.  I promise.

A/N: The song above is an amazing and haunting song. When I first heard it, all I could think of was Bucky Barnes, and then I created this character and was like BOOM!