{•Chapter Twenty•}

Start from the beginning

A prolonged silence. By how quiet Ada was, they knew what Annette said was true. Gwen glared daggers at the woman as she stepped forward, hand resting over the pistol strapped to her thigh. "I can't believe we trusted you," she spat, venom dripping from every word.

"Oh, Leon, Gwen..." Ada whipped out her pistol and aimed it at the archivist. "Why couldn't you just hand over the sample?"

Leon stepped closer to Ada and inserted himself between the gun and Gwen. "Because I realized, as much as I wanted to trust you..." The blonde quickly drew his pistol and aimed it at the false agent. "I didn't. It took me until now to see it, but Gwen saw it from the very beginning. I should've trusted her."

Ada tilted her head slightly with a sigh. "I really hoped it wouldn't end up like this."

"And whose fault is that?" Gwen hissed, eyeing her with burning hatred. "Yours. Lying to us since the very beginning..."

"We were just some pawns to you?" Leon questioned angrily.

"Look, I am just doing my job," Ada said, a melancholic glint in her brown eyes.

"And I'm doing mine, so drop that damn gun!" The blonde's angry voice resonated all around them. "I'm taking you in."

Gwen could see how torn Ada's emotions were by her expression. She felt a small dash of remorse, but what she felt the most was hate towards the woman. Ada wasn't backing down, gun still raised and pointed at Leon's chest. "Hand over the sample, Leon. I don't want to hurt you or Gwen."

"A little too late for that, Ada," Gwen barks, sapphire eyes glinting with pure abhorrence. When the archivist saw Leon lower his gun, she was shocked. "Leon, what're you doing?"

The officer didn't respond and holstered his pistol. "Then you shoot me, but I don't think you can kill either of us."

Emotions tore at Ada's heart as she lowered the gun. Gwen went to take another step forward, but a gunshot stopped her. Blood splattered from Ada's shoulder as the bullet embedded itself into her skin. The archivist turned to see Annette leaning against the wall, the barrel of her pistol smoking. "Annette..."

Suddenly, the entire underground facility shook with a thunderous explosion. The walkway underneath them shook and parts of it were collapsing. Gwen fell
to her knees beside Leon while Ada lost her balance and fell over the ledge. "Ada!" Leon shouted, reaching out and grabbing her wrist before she could plummet into the dark abyss below. The G-Virus sample fell from the blonde's grasp once he stopped Ada's descent.

"No one gets that sample now," Gwen heard Annette say before collapsing, her body lifeless.

"Annette!" She shouted. It took all her strength to not jump over the gap in the walkway and go to the doctor's side.

"Leon..." Ada muttered, staring up at the officer with sorrow.

"Hold on... I think I can..." Another explosion rang out, more pieces of the walkway falling. "Argh! Shit!"

Luckily, Gwen was able to jump to safety before the walkway underneath her vanished. Ada glanced between the two, shaking her head. "Forget it."

"Shut up-I've got you!" Leon yelled with a shaky voice.

"It's not worth it."