{•Chapter Twenty•}

Start from the beginning

"Just tell me you'll destroy that G-sample," Doctor Birkin begged, the pain apparent in her expression.

Leon was taken aback at her request. "No. It's evidence. It's going to the FBI."

"You trust that bitch?" Annette hissed, eyes narrowing. She pressed a hand against her side as she pushed her upper body up against the wall behind her.

"What's that supposed to mean?" The officer wondered.

"She's not FBI, she's a mercenary," the doctor heaved through the pain.

Gwen's eyes widened in bewilderment at the news. "This whole time... she's been lying? I've doubted her for a while, but her credentials seemed legit."

"It's all fake. The badge, the card... She's gonna sell the virus. The G-Virus is gonna go to the highest bidder."

Leon couldn't believe Annette and stood up. "That's bullshit."

"Leon, you and I have doubted her since the moment we met her. If she isn't part of the FBI, we can't let her get ahold of the sample," Gwen said.

Leon fell silent, unable to respond to her. He knew she was right, but he didn't want to accuse Ada just yet. "We'll learn the truth soon enough."

Suddenly, Anette's body tipped over and crashed to the floor. Gwen gasped as she shook the doctor's shoulder. "Annette? Annette!" She received no response, but she knew Doctor Birkin was still alive from the slow rise and fall of her chest.

*****
Attention: Self-destruct sequence initiated. Use the central elevator to evacuate immediately to the bottom-level train platform.
*****

The computerized voice echoed throughout the large room. Leon took Gwen's hand and pulled her away from Annette. "We've got to go, Gwen."

Deep down, the young woman was battling her emotions. She wanted to save Annette just like the doctor had done for her four years ago, but she knew they needed to leave without delay. Swallowing hard, she nodded. "Let's go, Leon."

<----------<<<<<<<<<<

In the main shaft, Leon and Gwen spotted a familiar figure cladded in high heels and a crimson dress. They watched as she held up a device to the control panel of the central elevator. When Ada turned her head and spotted them, she approached them with a slight limp in her stride.

"We were just thinking about you," Leon said with a hint of sarcasm.

"That makes three of us. I was getting worried," the false agent replied with a small smile.

Leon glanced down at the metal walkway beneath his feet Before glancing at the vial in his hand. "Y'know, we make a good team, but I gotta ask you something."

"Something's come to our attention from a... certain someone," Gwen added.

Ada seemed to not be listening to either one of them. "The way's clear. Please, tell me you got it."

"Oh," the officer scoffed. "We got it."

The short-haired woman stopped in front of Leon and extended her hand towards him. "Let me verify the G-sample and we'll get the hell out of here."

Leon glared down at the outstretched hand. "Before we do that... we ran into Annette. She claims you're not FBI."

"Is it true, Ada?" Gwen growled at the older woman, fists clenched by her side.