Book II Chapter 17

Start from the beginning

Julian moved in to stand in front of Brian.

Like a king come to preside over his subjects, Julian now stood tall before Brian, with his bright, sceptre of righteousness held in one hand, come to right the injustice he has found eating away in his domain, corrupting it.

"Oh...Julian..." Brian stammered.

Julian sighed. He shook his head.

And yet, the king, at the last, shall be merciful. He will forgive just one more time.

Julian eased down onto one knee. "How have you become like this?" He shook his head. "How have you so lost your way?" He sighed again. Reaching out his free hand, he touched his old friend on the shoulder. "You know that I have always loved you..."

Brian's head swung up.

He jabbed his hand into Julian's side.

Julian's eyes went wide. His mouth gaped open.

Brian sneered. "And I have always...hated you..."

Julian jerked back and struggled to his feet. His eyes drifted down to his side. There, visible by their tails sticking halfway out were three of Brian's special super-eth darts, protruding past the tunic on the left side of his abdomen.

"Julian!" Nicole got to her feet. With Willibald's help, she stumbled off toward her two friends on the field.

Julian turned his eyes back up on Brian.

Brian rose to his feet and stood tall. He tossed his head back and laughed.

Julian lunged for him.

Brian raised his arms but he was too slow. Julian had seized him by the throat with his free hand and shoved him onto the ground. Brian clasped Julian by the wrist. He yanked on it with all his might but it wouldn't budge.

Julian squeezed tighter. Brian began turning blue. He opened his mouth to speak but there was no sound.

Nicole shook herself loose from Willibald and plopped down by Julian's side. "Julian, stop!" She went to pry loose his grip but it was like pulling on granite.

Julian's eyes were on Brian. "How have you become so blind? So blind..." He shook his head.

"Julian!" Nicole shouted at him.

Julian brought in the ball of light in his other hand and applied it to Brian's eyes.

"Julian, no!" Nicole went for the other hand. This one was like marble.

Brian screamed.

Two giant missiles of fuel and incendiary, designed with enough power to level a military bunker, now distilled into a ball of light no bigger than a softball, now pressed between Julian's open palm and Brian's screaming face. It had been humming. But now it stopped. The light was gone too. It had only taken a second but now all of it had been wedged into Brian' face. Through his eyes.

Julian moved his hand away.

Brian was still, completely limp, lying on the grassy floor of the clearing, with his arms spread apart and his mouth gaping open in a now, quiet, silent scream. His eyes were smouldering. Wisps of smoke trailed out of them.

"Brian!" Nicole dove in and checked for vitals—pulse, breathing. Yes, Brian was still alive. She looked up to Julian.

Julian had gotten to his feet. Grimacing, he glanced down and studied for a moment the darts sticking out of his middle. He reached down and wrapped his hands around them in a firm grasp. He yanked. Out they came and he tossed them off to one side. He lifted his tunic and inspected the skin beneath. He brushed away at it.