{•Chapter Eighteen•}

Magsimula sa umpisa

As Leon turned to leave, the cracked glass where the corpse was pinned shattered. "Oh, shit!" The officer cursed as a familiar tyrant returned and jumped through the window, swinging his fists towards him. Leon sidestepped, avoiding the attack at the last second. He grabbed his pistol and fired a few shots before gyrating on his heels and taking off. The thunderous footsteps followed him through the control room until they ceased when he left the east area.

Leon stopped halfway across the catwalk in the main shaft when the booming footfalls of the titan vanished. He turned to see if the man was still following him, but he saw nothing. "Where the hell...?" He panted, adrift on where the tyrant went or why he didn't continue his pursuit.

The blonde wiped the gray-skinned man from his memories and focused on what truly mattered. He activated the walkway leading to the south area, where he could find Doctor Griffyn. "I'm coming, Gwen. Just hold on a little longer."

<---------<<<<<<<<<<

After falling unconscious for an hour, Gwen finally awoke. She felt horrible, sweat covering her body and throat sore from screaming. Her entire body felt heavy and she wasn't able to move her arms or legs in the slightest. She couldn't even move her fingers or toes regardless of how hard she tried.

The young woman heard the familiar sound of Damon typing and the man seemed to be mumbling to himself as his fingers danced across the keyboard. His eyes were glued to the screen and had failed to notice Gwen's awakening. One of the guards standing by the entrance cleared his throat. "Sir, the subject is awake."

The doctor's head snapped from the computer to the now conscious Gwen. "Ah, good. It's about damn time. After two injections and an hour later, you're finally awake. You've kept me waiting, Gwendolyn. Now, let's see the fruits of my labor." Damon snatched the knife he had stored in the top drawer of his desk. Gwen whimpered helplessly as he stalked over to her with the blade gripped tightly in his hand, his knuckles turning white.

Raising the blade, Damon dragged the blade across the woman's arm. Gwen cries out feebly as the knife pierces her skin and the doctor creates a gash from the middle of her upper arm to her elbow. Doctor Griffyn's eyes widened in amazement when he saw her blood drip from the wound. "Pure silver..." A triumphant grin crept across his face at the sight. "Let's test it out."

Damon retracted the blade and used it to slice open his palm. His blood trickled to the floor as he held up his hand. Tossing the knife aside, the doctor bent down and traced his tongue across Gwen's arm, lapping up her silver blood greedily. She winced at feeling his grotesque tongue against her cut, let alone her skin.

After licking a decent amount of Gwen's blood, Damon lifted his injured palm and watched as the skin mended together in quick session. He laughed like a maniac, a crazed glint in his jade eyes. "All those years of research have finally paid off! My greatest creation is complete!" He stormed over to his desk and sifted through all the drawers in his desk. "Where the hell is it?!"

"Is there an issue, sir?" One of the guards questioned as he watched the doctor toss everything out of his desk.

"Where's the damn injection gun?!" Damon demanded.

"You left it in the drug testing lab, sir."

"Shit!" Damon slammed his hands against the desk in vexation. His fiery gaze snapped in the guards' direction. "You two, go retrieve it! Don't waste any of my damn time!"

"What about the officer?" One man inquired.

"I don't fucking care what you do with him. Kill him if he gets in the way. Just don't come back empty-handed!"

"Yessir!" The guards salute before heading out of the lab.

"You promised you wouldn't hurt him!" Gwen managed to yell, her voice still frail and broken.

"I promised to not hurt your precious boyfriend, not my guards. You should work on your negotiation skills, my dear," Damon scoffed. "But don't worry. You'll have plenty of time for that once we transfer you."

From beyond the lab, Damon and Gwen could hear a barrage of bullets. The doctor's brows furrowed as he went to peer out the door to see if he could get a glimpse of what his guards were shooting. When the door to the lab slid open with a faint hiss, Doctor Griffyn came face-to-face with the barrel of a magnum. He stumbled backwards at the sudden scare and tripped over his own feet. "How the hell did you get clearance?"

"Just had to look in the right place," Leon replies, eyes narrowed and brimming with anger. "Where's Gwen?"

Damon gestured to the examination table in the other room. Leon kept his gun aimed at the man's head as he glanced to where he pointed. He saw Gwen strapped down, her chest slowly rising and falling. She had yet to notice his entrance even as he rushed to her aid. "What has that bastard done to you?" Leon muttered with a strained voice, examining her body. He saw the gash on her arm and her silver blood dripping from the open wound. "Shit, you're bleeding out!"

Leon's anger towards the doctor only blossomed further as he searched the lab for medical supplies. When he couldn't find any, he turned towards Damon, who was still on the floor. "Where the hell is the medical supplies?!"

Doctor Griffyn just grinned. "As if I'd-"

Leon stomped over to the doctor and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, hoisting him to his feet while glaring daggers at him. "If you think I won't shoot you right here and now for all the shit you've done to Gwen, you're sorely mistaken."

Damon swallowed nervously, frightened by Leon's threatening demeanor. "U-Underneath the cabinet beside my desk..."

Leon threw Damon's body back to the floor, stepping over him and walking over to the metal cabinet. He scrounged for the medical supplies and found some spray and gauze. Without hesitating, the blonde returned to Gwen's side and immediately tended to her wound. When he used the disinfectant spray, she gasped in pain. "I'm sorry, Gwen. This'll be over soon, I promise." He wrapped her arm with the gauze and then unlocked her restraints.

As Gwen tried to push her body up, she realized her body had no strength left. Leon helped her swing her legs over the ledge, but he wouldn't let her go any further. "Don't push yourself. I'm here if you need me." The officer cupped her cheek in his hand and she leaned into his gentle touch.

Weakly, Gwen wrapped her arms around Leon's torso and clung to him for dear life. With no tears left to spare, she buried her face into his chest and basked in his warmth, listening to his heartbeat. Leon snaked both of his arms around her broken form, resting his head on top of her. "I'm sorry I'm late."

Gwen shook her head, closing her eyes. "No. I'm the one who's sorry. If... If I had stayed with you, none of this would've happened."

"Will you listen to my explanation about what happened in the cable car?" Leon asked, his voice low and overflowing with sorrow.

"I don't want an explanation, Leon. I'm going to ask you the only question that matters: do you love me?"

Leon held her tighter, combing his fingers through her soft, inky tresses. "More than anything."

Suddenly, a bullet flew past Gwen's head. The projectile was lodged into the wall behind her. Leon turned his head and saw Damon had a pistol aimed at him and Gwen. "As much as I love happy endings, neither of you will be getting one."