{•Chapter Eighteen•}

Start from the beginning

Using a glass beaker, Damon extracted the exact amount of chemicals he needed and combined them. A low hissing resonated from the mixture once all the liquids were combined and mixed. Then, he grabbed a syringe and filled it halfway. "Perfect," he purred in satisfaction. He flicked the side, removing the air bubbles. "And now, for the moment of truth."

Doctor Griffyn waltzed over to Gwen, who was still weeping and failed to notice his presence. Using his free hand, he grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him. A Cheshire Cat grin spread across his face as he stared into her glassy, sapphire eyes. "What a delightful expression, indeed. Soon, it'll contort to one of pain. I won't sugarcoat it-this will hurt like hell."

"Just... get it over with..." Gwen's heartbreak caused her to give in, allowing Damon to inject the concoction into her neck without a hindrance. He inserted the needle into her neck and pushed the sable liquid into her vein.

"Now, for the show," the doctor chuckled darkly, yanking the syringe out of her neck and stepping back from Gwen.

A few minutes passed and Gwen suddenly screamed in pure horror and pain. She thrashed against the examination table, her screams filling the room. Her body writhed from the immense pain as her cries crescendoed. Damon grinned in enjoyment at the sight and sound. "Do push through the pain, my dear. Wouldn't want you kicking the bucket this far into the tests. Over twenty-five years of research and today, it'll all pay off."

Gwen's screams suddenly went silent, her writhing body collapsing against the examination table and appearing to be unmoving. Doctor Griffyn clicked his tongue in vexation as he stepped towards the woman. "Must've fallen unconscious from the pain." He placed two fingers on her wrist, checking for a pulse. When he felt it, he dropped his hand. "Still alive. Good. Now, let's continue, shall we?"

<---------<<<<<<<<<

In the eastern part of the underground facility, Leon could hear the screaming. He knew it was Gwen, which made him more hasty in claiming the level three security chip from the dead man in the greenhouse. He had returned from mixing the solution in the drug lab and was now heading to the lower level in search of a way to cool the liquid.

"I don't have much time," Leon muttered as he climbed down a ladder and rushed around the lab. He encountered a small horde of zombies and lickers while searching for a way to restore the power. Using his flamethrower, he was able to annihilate the monsters before one of them could take a bite out of him. Running up the stairwell, he discovered a signal modulator. He grabbed the device and ran back down the stairs to the power panel he discovered by the vending machines.

Leon matched the wavelengths with the two knobs on the signal modulator before placing it into the panel. A small click was heard and then, the lights flickered back on. "Now we're talking." The officer smirked triumphantly as he dashed down the hall and into a freezing room. With the solution in his grasp, the blonde was able to search the lab and find a way to cool the liquid.

Now with what he needed to retrieve the security chip from the corpse, Leon grabbed the cylindrical vial and nearly dropped it. "Shit, it's freezing!" Unable to hold it, the blonde opted to place it in his hip pouch.

The officer reached the greenhouse control room after setting aflame numerous of mutated plants blocking his path. He was completely out of breath from all the running and rested for a few minutes as the solution was dispensed in the greenhouse. Leon watched as the vines and branches shrunk as if they were being burned by acid.

Leon left the control room and entered the greenhouse. He stepped over the dead vines, avoiding the piles of ashes from previous monsters he'd burnt as he walked across the catwalk. The purple chip pulsated on the ground beside the man in the yellow hazmat suit. He switched out the level two chip for the level three one, tossing the green chip aside.