{•Chapter Sixteen•}

Start from the beginning

Using the T-Bar valve, he opened the shutter to the workroom lift. He rode the small lift up into an unfamiliar room. A dead body was sprawled out on the floor, the officer unsure if the man was truly dead. Peering through the bars on the metal door, Leon knew exactly where he was as he eyed the Rook plugged into the electrical panel. The blonde unlocked the door and meandered out into the corridor. He snatched the Rook and headed back into the workroom, where the corpse on the floor became sentient. "Shit!"

Leon grabbed his pistol and shot the zombie directly between the eyes, its head exploding and covering a portion of the room with blood. He descended on the lift and headed back the way he came, dancing around the mountain of flesh before it could grab him.

Before stepping up onto dry land, a passageway by the stairwell leading to the cable car and monitor room caught his eye. "Guess I've got no other choice..." He pulled himself out of the sewage, determined to find the two remaining chess pieces. So far, he was only in need of the King and Queen.

Down the path, Leon used the T-Bar handle again to reveal a new area-the bottom waterway. Unlike previous sections of the sewer, this one was much larger and seemed to be a maze with all the piles of what seemed to be mix of garbage, sewage, and body parts. The young man walked across the catwalk and down a ladder.

(A/n: The bottom waterway is the worst part of the game, in my opinion, because of the Lesser G monster and how many that appear in the one area!)

Leon passed by a corpse just as something sprung from the man's chest with a hiss and dove into the sewage. "What the hell was that?!"

Maneuvering through the bottom waterway was difficult due to the amount of large monsters prowling the area. All he could even think about when he spotted one was how one of its kind grabbed ahold of Gwen and did something to her. He wasn't sure what, but it could have potentially killed her if neither she nor him had any blue herbs with them. He was glad and relieved to know Gwen had the proper medicine with her because he couldn't afford to lose her, especially since he just got her back.

With careful timing and quick movements, dodging the monsters was a cinch. Leon wasted no ammo and made it to the opposite end of the bottom waterway. He passed through the door and entered the supplies storage room. Inside, he found the King, the Queen, and a flamethrower that was locked away. He grabbed all three and left, dreading how he would have to dodge the monsters once again in order to reach the ladder.

<---------<<<<<<<<

The journey back to the monitor room was rather peaceful, which didn't bode well with Leon. When he entered the monitor room, his eyes immediately traveled over to Gwen. Her head lulled to the side slightly when the door closed behind the blonde. Walking over to her, Leon checked on her condition. He had been gone for nearly an hour in search of the remaining three plugs and had been worried about Gwen every second.

Leon pushed a few inky strands from her face, placing them behind her ear as he saw her sleeping and peaceful expression. The color had returned to her face, which relieved him. Her cheeks returned to their rosy tint and were no longer deathly pale. The azure-eyed man kissed Gwen on the forehead before he ventured over to a small television with a video cassette player attached. He remembered the cassette he and Gwen had found earlier, placing it on top of the player. Leon wanted to know what was on the video tape but decided to wait in case the archivist was just as curious as him.

With the three pieces in his grasp, Leon returned to the power panels. On the bulletin board above the table, the officer saw a note regarding which plug belongs to which panel. Unfortunately, it wasn't a straightforward note.

****
Pretty sure the Rook and Knight are on the same wall and the Bishop and Queen aren't next to each other. The Queen and Rook were opposite each other, too.
*****