In a way, she felt like she was trapped in her own life, unable to open up to other people and make friends, but the fact that this was just for the time being pacified her. She had re-built her life once before after William's arrest. She could do it again.

"I can come over and give you company while Ethan is at work," Bianca offered. She knew that being home alone gets boring really quick.

"That would be great," Dana said gratefully. "I was just about to step out to get some art supplies though. I'll be back in about an hour."

"That's cool! I'll come over in an hour or so," Bianca responded.

"You're a really nice friend, you know that?"

"Come on. This is the least I can do! I'll see you soon, yeah?"

"Yes, see you soon." Dana smiled to herself and hung up.

Detective Ross had seemed comfortable with Dana going out as long as she had some security accompanying her. So she informed the guard stationed outside their apartment door that she wanted to step out for a bit.

He nodded and followed her to the store. While he was close enough to protect her, he also let her have her space rather than hovering over her.

Shopping for art supplies, she realized, was the perfect way to get her mind off things. She planned on going back home and painting something. It would make her feel productive and keep her busy.

She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket so she dragged her shopping card with one hand and held the phone to her ear with the other.

"Hey, babe," Ethan said. "Just checking in. All good?"

Dana smiled. "Hi you. Yes, alll good. How's your day going?"

Ethan sighed. "It's going. It'll be better once I'm home and you're in front of me."

With a laugh, Dana responded, "you're whipped, Salvay."

"Oh and you aren't? Tell me you haven't been missing me."

Dana walked to the cashier to check out and brought out her wallet as she said, "I saw you 5 hours ago, Ethan."

"5 hours? That's 350 minutes, darling. It's a lot of time."

Dana smiled and thanked the cashier as he handed her shopping bags. Turning towards the exit she continued, "awh poor, baby. How are you going to spend the next couple of hours at work if you're this depressed already?"

"It's going to be excruciating..." Ethan groaned.

"Jesus," Dana laughed. She would be lying if she said she wasn't missing him too. But she wanted Ethan to focus on his work too. Luke had been handling most things while they were away. "You will survive. What time are you coming home?"

"It's going to be about 8 o'clock. I have a meeting that I can't putt off."

"I understand," she waited for the traffic light to turn red so she could walk. "I'll see you then."

"Oh no. I'm not saying bye till you tell me what I want to hear."

"Really? And what is that, your highness."

Ethan bit his lip before saying, "that you love me. That you miss me already and can't wait for me to be home."

"Yes." Dana gave a one word response purposefully.

"Yes what? Tell me the whole thing you lazy woman!" Ethan exclaimed, making her laugh.

"Yes, I love you and miss you and can't wait-"

Suddenly, there was a loud noise and the phone went dead.

"Dana? Hello?" Ethan looked at his phone screen to see that the call had disconnected.

He had a bad feeling but tried to push that out of the way as he redialed her number.

"The number you're trying to reach is currently unavailable-"

"Damn it!" He exclaimed in frustration and ran his hand through his hair. After a second, he called the guard who was supposed to be with her.

His call was answered almost immediately.

"Mr. Salvay, please come to the MountSinai Hospial on Madison Avenue. Ms. Johnson was...she was..."

Ethan was ready running out of his office, trying not to panic. "She what!?" He yelled angrily, causing everyone in the office to look in his direction with concern. "For fuck's sake, speak! What happened to her!?"

"She was hit by a car, sir. It's bad. She has a bad head injury." The guard said dreadfully.

Ethan stopped in his tracks. "What?" He whispered.

"I'm sorry, sir. Please get here as soon as you can."

Clenching his teeth and suppressing his almost uncontrollable fear, Ethan rushed his way down to the front of the building to where his car was waiting. His secretary must have alerted the driver to be ready.

"MountSinai Hospital, Andres. Now! As fast as you can." Ethan barely got the words out. He felt like he was choking over those words. Images of Dana injured flashed in his head that threatened to break him. He'd never felt fear this great before.

"This can't happen. Not to her. Not to my Dana." He whispered to himself, gribbing his head. "It's going to be fine, it's going to be fine." He chanted over and over again.

His right leg bounced with nervous energy as the traffic slowed them down. The guard's words rang in his head over and over again till he thought he'd go crazy with worry and fear.

What if she wasn't okay? What if she was...no! I can't think like this. She can't leave me. She can't. She has to be fine.

With every second that passed, Ethan prayed that he got there on time. He couldn't imagine a scenario where he didn't.

---------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I know I am posting after months but I am finally thinking about this story again! Hopefully I'll complete it before the year's end. If you liked this chapter and/or can't wait for more, don't forget to comment and vote!