{•Chapter Twelve•}

Start from the beginning

"Neither did I, but we'll have a proper date once this shitstorm is over and done with. We could go old fashion and see a movie or just a dinner date," Leon said as Gwen handed him the electrical components.

"I'd like to go to the movies with you again. It was thanks to you that I was able to live a normal life for once," she smiled sweetly at him. "Even though it was only for four years."

Leon tinkered with the electrical panel until the power was restored. As the cell door opened, he slung an arm over Gwen's shoulders and pulled her flush against his side. He leaned down and placed a warm, gentle kiss against her cheek before releasing her and sauntering into the cell. Unbeknownst to the young officer, his lover was a giddy mess inside from the sweet gesture.

Before claiming the parking garage keycard from the dead man's corpse, Leon's eyes caught sight of something in the interior of his jacket. "Huh?"

Gwen heard the blonde's curious hum and stepped into the cell. "What is it, Leon?"

He sifted through Ben's jacket and pulled out a small device. "It's a voice recorder." Pressing play, he placed it up to his ear to listen.

*********
"But that doesn't explain the rumors about the orphanage," a man said, the voice sounding exactly like Ben's. "I-I just find it way too coincidental Umbrella's one of the benefactors."

"You told me this interview was about the new scholarship Umbrella set up," a woman responded, irritation apparent in her voice.

"Come on, Annette. Nobody cares about that," Ben scoffs. "They want to know about the G-Virus, Project: Moondrop, and the-"

"Where did you here about this?" The woman demanded.

"-And that big, fucking sinkhole in the city which, by the way, rumor has it goes straight to your underground lab," Ben said, ignoring the woman's question. "Now, are you going to talk to me or are you-"

"This interview is over."

A small pause, then Ben cursed the woman. "Bitch."
*********

The recording ended, and Leon placed the device in his pocket. He turned to Gwen and spotted the shock and fear written across her entire face. She blinked a few time before inhaling a shaky breath. "Annette... That was the name of the doctor who helped me escape. S-She's the only reason I was able to meet you."

"This unground lab they mention must be the one you were taken to," Leon said as he snatched up the keycard and held it tightly.

"By the sound of it, this so called "underground lab" is owned and operated by Umbrella. Why would a billion-dollar pharmaceutical company need an underground lab? It makes no sense."

"Unless they're trying to hide something," Leon stated.

"Their main headquarters is in Raccoon City, too. It would explain the underground lab. I just hope this is all a lie," Gwen sorrowfully said.

"Me, too, Gwen."

Suddenly, all the cell doors opened with loud clicks and groaning was heard. "That's not good..." Leon muttered as the groaning and hissing crescendoed.

"We've gotta go!" Gwen shouted as a couple of zombies rounded the corner. Leon gripped his shotgun and fired at the undead creatures waltzing towards them. The two pulled a small handle, opening a side path.

"At least there's-" Gwen's sentence abruptly ended when their path was obscured by a familiar, burly man. "Are you serious?!"

Leon traded his shotgun for his magnum, only needing one bullet from the powerful gun to incapacitate the giant. "Go around him!" The couple dashed around him and out of the jail before the zombies could grab them.