of championship hugs & self-denials

They made it

They made it. She made it. Indeed, it was a good idea to use her last playing year.

Bea looked from left to right, at her front & back - the overflowing support of thousands of people wearing varying hues of blue. Seeing all the familiar faces cheering for her & the whole team made every bit of her sacrifices worth it. It was definitely worth it.

"Bea." She looked towards the direction of the person calling out her name.

"Uy." Oh.

"Congrats! Yakap?" The said person gestured to give her a hug which she immediately obliged to.

"Thanks! Though I didn't know you were going to watch? Sana sinabi mo."

"Well, I guess I just didn't want to distract you or take up some of your precious time, you know. #OnAMission. Didn't want you to lose your focus."

Sabagay, you have a point. You're definitely a distraction. "Sira to. But really, thank you for watching." She tightened her arms around his waist.

Warmth. All over. That was what she felt.

Yes, she was sweaty & all, but it was a different kind of warmth. The kind that only one person in this entire world can make her feel.

And that was him. "Thirdy?"

"Yeah?"

"E-Everyone's looking. I think we should..." Sobrang tagal na ba naming magkayakap?

"Oh, sorry. I just got carried away. Alam mo na, 'spur of the moment'. I know how badly you wanted this, how hard you worked for this. I can't help but be so proud eh. I'm just so happy for you, Bei." He squished her cheeks in an endearing manner.

"Aray. I know. I know, Thirds. And believe me, it means so much that you are. "

"Sus. I bet everyone's been saying that to you naman eh. I doubt that what I said would even stay in your kokote."

"Gago. Seryoso nga." Kung alam mo lang.

He was her rock. It actually meant everything for her that he was there. The whole world could've left her, and she'd still be happy knowing that Thirdy was there.

"Oo na, hehe. I just like to tease you."

Fuck. Stop looking at me like that. "Loko-loko."

"But you love me anyway."

Well, shit.

"Asa."

"Talaga!"

"Kapal."

"Tara? So many people are leaving na. Shower ka na, sige ka di ka maliligawan niyan."

"So? I don't need a man noh!"

"Talaga?"

"Oo!"

"Ako hindi mo kailangan?"

"H-Ha?" Tangina naman nito eh.

"Not even me?"

"Syempre..." 

"Syempre?"

"Bahala ka nga dyan." She proceeded to walk fast to the dugout leaving Thirdy behind.

"So, what are your plans now?"

"Huh?"

"You know. Your Thirdy plans."

"What? Pinagsasabi mo dyan."

"Ay so ano? Tatanda ka ngang dalaga ganon?"

"Kat naman. What makes you think that I will? FYI di lang naman si Thirdy ang lalaki sa mundo."

"Yeah, Bea. FYI. You should really tell that to yourself."

"Pssh. Your saying that like he's the only guy I had a crush on ha. I have other boys din noh."

"Crush?"

"Oo. Crush. Paghanga. That's all it is, & will ever be with him."

"Whatever. Keep lying to yourself. Tara na nga. Baka pagalitan pa tayo ng prof natin. We can't miss this campus exit interview, Ms. Cum Laude."

"What are your plans bro?" Anton asked as he and Thirdy exited the athletics office.

"Huh? Plans with what?"

"You know. Bea."

"What about her?"

"Aren't you going to make a move on her na?" Bacon, who appeared out of nowhere, chimed in the conversation.

"Oh bro. Tapos ka na agad?"

"Yup."

"Make a move? Bro saan mo naman napulot yang idea na yan ha."

"I don't know. I just-you've been so hung up on her for the last 5+ years, isn't it fitting for you to finally court her somehow? Make her yours for real?"

"True."

"Pare, I had a crush on her years ago. Matagal na yun. Bea & I are just good friends na lang. That's all we'll ever be."

"You mean you don't actually like her?"

"Sus, Anton. Of course I do, but as a friend lang talaga. Bakit ba ang daming taong nagsasabi nito saken?"

"Thirds. "

"It's funny. Why can't I see it though?"

"Bro wa-" Anton looked a bit shocked, but Thirdy continued to speak.

"I don't think Bea & I can ever be together like that honestly. I just can't imagine myself seeing her that way, you know? She's too comfortable to be with. Too predictable. Oh, and the whole loveteam thing?

Bacon & Anton seemed to be taking glances at each other wanting to interrupt Thirdy from talking, but the latter didn't seem to realize.

"Sobrang patok. I feel bothered sometimes, you know? Why do they keep pushing us to each other. It's not like we'll ever-"

"Thirdy." It was Kat. Behind him, with Bea on her side.

Oh shit. "Hey."

He looked through Bea eyes, & he can't seem to pinpoint what she felt at the moment. Bea, on the other hand, simply smiled. "Tapos na kayo sa loob?"

"Oo eh. Mabilis lang pala. Kayo ba nakasched ngayon?" Anton obliged to return Bea's question to somehow divert the topic.

"Yup. We just arrived early kasi Bea has to attend something later, & I got a class naman so... "

"Bea." Thirdy reached out to Bea's hand.

"Hm?"

"What I said was-"

"Right. What you said was right, Thirdy. We're just friends naman talaga diba? Don't think too much about how I feel."

"I-uh-It's not that. I'm-"

"We'll go ahead na. I'm kind of busy eh. Bye, guys." Bea took Kat's arms & walked past the three boys.

Oh god. What did you do Thirdy?

"Oh Thirds, akala ko ba?"

"Shut up, Bacon." I don't know what the hell this is, but I'll figure it out.