Grant continued forward. "You okay mack, you need some help?"

The private stumbled forward quite a ways, waving his pistol around. "They wouldn't give me any gas," he slurred. "Krauts!"

The private then walked backward and Edith slowly followed, still making sure to keep a safe distance between her and the obviously drunk private.

"I tried to explain," he continued, "but this fuckin' limey wouldn't listen." He pointed to a dead British soldier, lying face down in the gravel. "I think he was a major."

"Hey private, we got a problem here," Edith stated, a stern look on her face.

He turned to her, his eyes wide. "Do you have any gas?"

"Why don't you give me your weapon." She stepped closer, following him as he turned away. Grant looked on worriedly.

"Well, I guess I'll just use his jeep. I-I don't think he's gonna be needing it." The private turned away and Edith followed determinedly.

"Hey, hold on a second there, alright!" She commanded. The private turned suddenly and held up his pistol, blindly shooting in her direction, landing a shot to her thigh and one to her shoulder. With a gasp, she stumbled back in shock and fell onto the ground.

Grant, watching from the side, started forward quickly, yelling "Hey!" The private turned to him and fired again, the bullet hitting him on the side of the head.

The last thing Edith heard was Chuck Grant's body hitting the ground, the jeep engine rumbling away, and the cries of "Sergeant!" before everything turned black.

---

When Speirs heard the loud engine of a jeep outside his housing accommodations, he turned quickly to the door and tugged it open. The sight shocked him.

There in the truck was Doc Roe forcefully pressing a bandage to a soldier's head and a private holding two bandages on another soldier. "Sir," spoke Doc, a frantic undertone in his Cajun accent.

Speirs started towards the jeep, his feet moving on their own accord. He froze upon seeing long brown hair strewn over the side of the jeep, the only woman in Easy Company coming to mind. With shaking legs and hands, he walked the final bit towards the jeep and reached a hand out to caress Edith's cheek. He shakily inhaled.

Doc watched on in fascination and fear, never having seen his captain so affected by a singular event.

Rage slowly encompassed Speirs the longer he looked at the pale, unconscious woman. His eyes moved over to Grant's lifeless body, utter despair flowing through him.

"Sir," Doc spoke yet again. Speirs' eyes snapped to his. "We need to find a surgeon now. I can take care of Edith, but Grant desperately needs one. We need to move now."

Nodding his head forcefully, Speirs moved to the front of the jeep and quickly hopped into the seat the previous driver had vacated. As he pulled away from the curb, his hand quickly moved back to hold Edith's.

---

Hours later, Speirs slams the door of the room open, a gun at the ready in his right hand, and walks up to a startled looking Talbert and a calmer Luz with a scowl on his face. "Where is he?"

"How's Grant?" Talbert asks.

"Where is he?"

"Is Edith okay?"

"Where is he?!" Speirs yells.

Both Talbert and Luz look to a door on the far side of the room, silently agreeing not to say more to the obviously angry captain.

Speirs marches over to the door and slams it open. All heads turn to him. The men, all surrounding a bloody and beaten private, quickly clear a path for the man. "This him?" Speirs questions, trying desperately to contain his rage. 

"That's him," Bull Randleman replies, watching on as the captain stalks closer to the bloodstained soldier. "Replacement, I company." All of the other soldiers in the room continue watching on in anticipation, wanting to know what the captain will do to avenge his friend and the woman he loves.

"Where's the weapon?" 

"W-What weapon?" 

Swiftly, Speirs raises his right hand, and pistol whips the private across the face. His blood goes spraying off to the left. "When you talk to an officer you say 'Sir'."

Some of the men wince, as they listen to the soldier gasping and choking on his own blood. The silence continues, all eyes turned towards Speirs as he raises his gun to the private's head. At this, many of them step back, either not wanting to witness the event or be sprayed by his blood and brains. 

The private, still gasping for air, stares down the barrel of Speirs' gun, watching as it shakes in his hand. After a few moments of tense silence, all of those in the room waiting for the inevitable gunshot, Speirs spots the blood on his hand and moves forward to wipe it off on the private's jacket. While the private continues to gasps out a few laughs, Speirs removes his garrison cap and slowly turns to the door to make his way out of the room.

"Have the MP's take care of this piece of shit," Speirs gruffly commands.

Talbert watches the captain leave, an all-encompassing fear creeping into his being as the seconds pass. "They're dead?" His mind and the others immediately flash to their friends, both of them extremely loyal and kind friends. 

"No." Speirs quickly turns to address his men. "Kraut surgeon says they're gonna make it." As Luz watches the man, he notices relief quickly dart across the captain's eyes; relief that he hasn't lost another friend nor the woman he loves. Luz and the rest of the men feel share the same sense of relief.

Speirs continues on his way out of the door, his mind dead set on visiting his lover. It's alright, he reminds himself, she's going to be just fine