"No, I have." He scrubbed a hand down his face. "Well, shit."

"What? Is something wrong?"

He laughed. It was dry and bitter. "No, I just realize I've completely made an ass of myself."

Now he was just being ridiculous. "What are you talking about, Blake? You're fine. I really appreciate you taking me out to eat; it's been a while since I've done something so normal."

"You're driving the knife in deeper, Ellie."

"What?"

He peeked at me through the cracks of his fingers. "You really don't know."

I shook my head.

"God, that makes it worse." His hand dropped and covered mine on the table as he leaned in. "Fine, here it is: I like you Ellie. Like like you. As in, more than friends. You get where I'm going with this?"

If it was possible for blood to drain from your face while simultaneously blushing, it happened. To me.

Of course.

Of course.

Thinking back, I could recognize all the signs I missed in the moment. His forwardness, the compliments, the playfulness. How had I not noticed? Why couldn't I pick up on these things?

Blake stared at me, expecting an answer, and all I could do was stare at him open-mouthed.

Oh, man.

I didn't ask for much. Just for things to make sense and be clear, and for the little things to work out in my life. I already had no chance with Angel or the Prophets or whatever the heck I was, but the small things . . . I mean, come on.

Just one little break would be nice.

"And now I've completely freaked her out," he muttered, blowing out a breath as he sat back. "Awesome."

Say something, Ellie. This is where you say something and preserve friendship.

"N-no," I stammered. "No, it's . . . ugh." I clenched my hair in my hands. "I'm sorry, Blake. I should have realized it sooner. I just . . . I don't pick up on things like normal people. I miss a lot. I'm ignorant and oblivious and innocent, as everybody says. I'm sorry."

He smiled, and this one reached his eyes. "Don't be. I shouldn't have . . . I shouldn't have pushed you into anything. I just thought . . . well, it doesn't matter anymore."

I picked at the tablecloth. "We can still be friends, right? We can still eat and laugh and be friends?"

Blake nodded. "Of course."

"Good."

The waitress delivered our burgers and drinks, and I had just taken a bite of mine when he spoke again.

"It's August, isn't it?"

I choked, and had to down half my water before I could breathe normally again. "What?"

"August. I'm right, aren't I? Damn."

"Wh-what?"

"You dig him. You totally dig him. I have been eternally in the friend zone without even realizing it."

"What's the friend zone?"

"Of course this would be a bust. I should have known."

"Blake."

He looked at me.

"I'm confused."

And then he just laughed, long and hard, like my misunderstanding was the funniest thing he'd seen in a long, long time. "You are so cute, Ellie. This is why I like you so much."