10: The Answer To The Code

Start from the beginning

"Now I get it! Thank you so much, Ayumi-chan."

The three kids became confused with what Conan said but then, they just kept quiet and let him do the code-deciphering.

It took him about five minutes before he finished changing the characters and symbols into their corresponding letters. But then, the result wasn't exactly what they had expected it to be.

Though it was written in the English alphabet, they still couldn't make meaning out of it.

'How come? The letters are exactly placed where their corresponding symbols are. I even checked it thrice. Then why did it come out like this?' Conan could only say in his mind frustratingly as he looked at the result.

"Conan-kun, are you sure this is the right code that Ares wrote?" Mitsuhiko asked, he was also frustrated but it wasn't obvious.

Conan nodded. "I copied the exact code right down to the punctuation marks used. I never did any changes or arrangements to it."

"Then why is it that we couldn't even make any meaning or word out of it?" Genta asked, now standing and opening the window just behind him. "Now I'm even hungrier than I was a minute ago."

"You are always hungry, Genta-kun. And stop complaining about you being hungry. We are solving a case that would help Ryoma-niichan and Rin-san," Ayumi suddenly blurted out which made the three boys quiet.

Genta lowered his head and apologized. "I'm sorry."

And then all of a sudden, a gust of wind entered the house and blew the paper with the result of the code from the table. The paper landed half a foot below a standing mirror placed near the bedroom.

Mitsuhiko and Genta closed the window and Ayumi picked up the scattered papers on the floor. Conan immediately looked for the paper with the result of the code.

When he was about to get the paper that he was looking for, he noticed the reflection of the paper on the standing mirror. As Conan was looking at the reflection carefully, he suddenly remembered what Kourin said about the code just this morning when she took a good look at it.

~"All I can say is the arrow that was placed there probably indicated that the code had to be read backward. That's what the RB should mean, I think..."~

And then he picked up the paper and raised it facing the mirror. His eyes widened because he now saw what his cousin meant about the code. 'Now I know what you mean, Rin!'

Conan rushed to the table and took another piece of paper and the marker.

"Conan-kun, what's wrong?"

"Have you figured out the code?"

He didn't answer but he continued to rewrite the code in the same order as what he saw in front of the mirror a while ago. All the letters were placed in the right order, even the punctuation marks used.

And when he was finished, he began to read it only to get surprised to see the outcome of the code.

The answer was written like this:

FIND ZEUS.

HE WAS THE ONE WHO KILLED THE SHINOMIYA FAMILY.