Chapter Four (Edited)

Start from the beginning

In between one tirade and the next, she'd shift her knitting around and slip in a pointed comment or two about the advantages of having a Luna in the pack in such circumstances. Usually followed by a thinly-veiled compliment about the suitability of one of her 'suggestions' for the position.

She didn't seem to need any responses from the three men, nor did she seem particularly bothered whether or not they were listening; as long as she was expressing her opinion, she was happy.

As a result Blake was able to close his eyes and ignore her for the most part - his mind torn between the rogue attack and the sleeping beauty in the next room. He only finally acknowledged Sarah's presence when she jabbed him in his side with a bony finger, tearing him away from his brooding thoughts. The doctor had arrived.

Completely unsurprised to see the welcoming committee assembled in his waiting room, Doc observed them all passively; his arms crossed over his chest, glasses perched precariously on the end of his nose.

Blake stood up expectantly, but Doc waved him back down and perched on the arm of one of the remaining chairs.

Alex hauled himself up again and offered him a beer, which he politely declined.

"How is she? Can we question her?" Blake asked.

"She's stable and no, that would be difficult as she hasn't regained consciousness yet."

"Is that normal?" Blake worried.

"For a head injury like this, yes. Especially with humans, they need more time to heal."

Blake ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. I need answers. "We have to talk to her, Doc."

He's trying to keep us away, Rothan growled in his head.

"Go home," Doc advised. "I will fetch you when she wakes up and -"

"I'm not leaving until I know if she's a threat to the pack or not," Blake asserted, firmly.

"Quite right," his Aunt spoke up boldly. "Just as it should be. She could be any sort of undesirable. A rogue's mate, a spy, a criminal on the run -"

"In a summer dress with no shoes on?" Doc queried sceptically.

Sarah jabbed her finger at him warningly. "Oh, I've seen it all over the years, you wouldn't believe it. Humans colluding with rogues for money and power. Werewolf wannabes lured into working side by side with enemy packs under the promise of being turned.

A bit extreme, Rothan murmured. But she has a point.

"That dress could be a cover," she continued. "A way to get you to believe whatever story she decides to tell us." She paused for dramatic effect. "She could be a suitor, trying her luck with the Alpha and this is her way of getting in."

Alex snorted into his beer and Marcus looked at her in open mouthed astonishment.

"Or," the Doc suggested, turning to his Alpha, "She could just be a traumatised victim who doesn't deserve to be interrogated as soon as she opens her eyes."

Blake tore his mortified eyes off Sarah to stare instead at Doc. "I've no intention of interrogating the girl," Blake said stiffly. "She's not a prisoner here."