"Because we don't like him."

Mike elbowed Gabe in the ribs, but he remained unapologetic. I preferred it that way. At least I could always count on his penchant for candour not to lie to me. I didn't think any of them would lie to me, not outright, though I knew they were having no problem hiding things. The issue with that was that it was hard to rely on. How did I know I'd asked all the questions, thought of all the possibilities? Looking good would only get them so far and it certainly wouldn't placate me.

"So, you guys kicked Brenan out of the hospital because you don't like him? Without even asking me if I wanted you to?" Unfolding my arms, I placed my hands on my hips and attempted to appear angry. The smile didn't help.

Once again, they glanced at each other, silent, before turning back and nodding at me.

"Are you really dating that guy?" Raffy asked.

"Raffy," Mike warned, as if he was worried about offending me now.

"What? Like you weren't dying to ask her."

"Uh, hello?" I raised my hand in the air. "I'm right here."

"Are you?" Gabe asked, ignoring Mike and Raffy. He caught and held my gaze, and it was like I couldn't look away.

"I—yes." I nodded. For now. I couldn't tell them anything different until I had the chance to talk to Brenan. He lied, sure, but he was—or seemed to be—too nice to treat that way, and I wanted to be able to say I took a high ground. With high school ending, it was time to act the part.

Gabe looked away, but not before his eyes grew dark, and the hold he'd had on me was broken. Air whooshed out of my lungs. Mike . . . well, Mike was unreadable. Raffy shuddered with a loud, over-dramatized groan. Only he could understate something with an overstatement so effectively, even if it was an action instead of words. Same poop, different pile.

I looked at my watch. "I gotta head back. Thanks for..." I rolled my eyes. "Nothing, I guess. You guys really didn't help."

"Wait," Gabe called when I turned to leave. "Can I get a ride back with you? Mike needs the car this afternoon and I don't wanna be late."

I shrugged. "Whatever."

They shared a silent look as I watched, and for once, I didn't feel left out. In fact, it was just the opposite. They didn't know it, but I knew what they were doing. One would stay with me while the other two found threats, whatever that meant. I was too confused to figure out what to ask now, but after I took the time to think about it, I'd be getting answers. Even if they were reluctant to include me, I could be as sneaky as they were and make sure they didn't realize they were telling me any of their so-called secrets. I just needed to determine what the right questions to ask were.

"Ready?" I asked without patience.

Gabe nodded, and the others said goodbye before heading back into the office to talk—more like strategize. What I wouldn't give to have heard what they might have said if I hadn't dropped my coffee. Having one of them always on my tail pretty much guaranteed I wouldn't get that chance again.

Freaking Lange boys.

At least it was only until Saturday (I hoped).

I was conscious of Gabe beside me as we walked to my car, but neither of us spoke. His size alone... and how had I not noticed his smell? Seriously, put a bag over the boy's head, and the girls would still gravitate towards him. Why had I only just noticed Mike wasn't the only Lange boy who held an appeal? Was I paying too much attention to him now after eavesdropping, or not enough before?