{•Chapter Nine•}

Start from the beginning

<---------<<<<<<<<

After a couple hours of rest, Gwen woke up. She was the first to wake and saw Leon sleeping in the other bed. She stood up and walked over to the sink, using the cold water to clean her sliced palm. She hissed in pain as the liquid collided with the injury. Opening the medicine cabinet, she found some extra gauze and wrapped it around her hand once she finished cleaning it.

Gwen stepped away from the sink and stepped on something. "Huh?" The archivist glanced down and saw it was a strip of gauze. "Where'd this come from?" She whirled around to face the sleeping Leon and saw his arm was unwrapped. Biting her bottom lip, she threw the gauze into the sink and wandered out of the break room. She wandered out into the hallway with her pistol drawn in case any corpses were up and walking. The only thing going through her mind was hoping Leon wasn't suspicious of her and the remedy he gave her, but she knew he would eventually find out the truth.

Outside the shutter leading to the watchman's room, Gwen found a couple of zombies munching on the lower half of a body. By how it's positioned, she knew it was the other half of Elliot. The monsters were occupied with munching on the officer's leg, allowing Gwen to inspect the fuse box. She clicked her tongue in annoyance when one of the fuses was missing. "Damn..." Gwen headed back to the break room to see if there was a spare fuse that she could use to open the shutter.

Opening the door, Gwen collided with something hard. She stumbled back from the impact and tripped, but her fall ceased when her arm was grabbed and she was pulled back to her feet. She saw it was Leon who she had crashed into and apologized. "Oh, sorry about that, Leon. I wasn't paying attention."

"Where were you?" He demanded with a scrutinizing gaze.

"Down the hall. We'll need a fuse to open the shutter. The electrical box is missing one," the young woman casually responded.

Leon kept his hold on Gwen's arm and pulled her back into the break room. He dragged her to the bunkbeds and forced her to sit down. The blue-eyed woman was at a complete lost as to the frightening look on Leon's face. "What's with the scary look?"

"I woke up to find you gone. How would you feel if I left without a word?" Leon crossed his arms, glaring down at her.

"Are you kidding me?" Gwen snarled, flying up to her feet. "You did leave without a word-for two whole years! No call, no email-not even a damn letter! I woke up one morning and found you gone! I had no idea where you had gone or if you'd be back! You..." Tears of anger rushed down her cheeks, a lump forming in her throat. "You abandoned me, Leon."

"Gwen, I-"

"No! I don't want anymore apologies! It's two years too late! I love you, Leon, but I don't think I'll be able to forgive you just yet." Gwen sat back down on the bed, burying her face in her hands. She sniffled and let her tears flow through her fingers.

The guilt ripped at Leon's heart at the sight of Gwen's tears. He knew she accepted his apology when he first arrived, but now he knew she was holding her true emotions at bay. Kneeling down in front of her, he placed his hands on her knees and gently squeezed them. "Hey," he gingerly called out. Gwen pulled her hands away from her face and stared into Leon's eyes with her glassy ones. "You've every right to be mad at me, but I hope you'll forgive me one day, Gwen."

Gwen sighed, closing her eyes for a few seconds before opening them. "Just... give me some time, Leon. It'll be a while, but I know I can't stay mad at you."

Leon moved one of his hands to Gwen's cheek, wiping away the tears streaming down her porcelain skin. "That's more than I deserve." He leaned forward and kissed her gently on the lips