Your brow furrowed as you realized he was apologizing for you being marked. "Tony."

He simply hummed again and continued his actions.

"Tony. Stop apologizing." Your voice was breathy, gentle and he ignored you.

"Stop it, Tony." You were firm this time, no longer asking. He lifted his head and gazed up at you in question. You tugged at your wrists and he immediately released them, shifting to his side as he did so.

You turned to face him and took his hand in your own to place it where he'd been kissing moments before. You covered his hand with your own. "Never apologize for this, Tony. This scar is a reminder that you are alive. I don't regret it, I never have. Don't you ever doubt that."

His gaze locked with yours and the two of you just looked at each other for a while, content to be together. Finally, he beamed, giving you that genuine smile you loved so much. "God, I love you," he said before pulling you against him and capturing your lips with his own.

You would have returned the sentiment, but you were too busy being kissed senseless.

***

Over the next several weeks, the two of you spent little time apart. And if you were in proximity of one another, you found a way to touch. You were content holding his hand, or linking your arms together, but that was rarely enough for Tony. He wanted as much contact as possible. More often than not he could be found standing behind you with his arms looped around your waist to hold you against him.

One trip outside of the tower together and your picture was all over the paper. Speculation ran wild as to who you were exactly and Pepper took the opportunity to play injured girlfriend to the press. She made it very clear what her opinion of you was, as well. That lasted exactly two days before Tony held a press conference with you by his side. All it took was the announcement you were soulmates and Pepper's rants were long forgotten. The two of you gave a total of three interviews at the request of the Stark Industries PR department before going back to keeping your own company most of the time.

The team was an exception of course, though they probably wished they weren't. It didn't take much lovey dovey stuff before Bucky, Clint or Pietro would complain loudly. Poor Bruce got the brunt of it as you often accompanied Tony to the lab and worked at an empty table nearby. He didn't seem to mind much if his ever present smile when you were around was any indication.

Today had been one of the rare days you hadn't seen Tony since breakfast. You'd had things to handle that couldn't be done onsite and had just returned to the tower. You glanced at the time as you stepped into the elevator and told Jarvis to take you to Tony. You were unsurprised to discover it was late afternoon. Tony wouldn't be happy about it, but he'd manage. Actually, the part he wouldn't be happy about was the fact you hadn't answered any of his calls, simply texting to tell him you'd talk to him later.

The truth was, you weren't certain he would approve of your recent actions, but it needed to be done. Hopefully, he understood that. You shook off your worry. Of course, he would understand. He was a genius, after all.

You strode to the lab, your heels clicking on the floor as you went. Jarvis unlocked the door before you arrived and you stepped inside with a smile. You immediately went to Tony and kissed the side of his head before finding a stool to sit on out of the way. Your briefcase landed on the table with a thud and you unbuttoned your suit jacket before hopping up on the seat. "Hello," you finally greeted.

"Leaves me alone all day, won't even take my calls and all she says is hello," Tony replied. The teasing note in his voice and the matching smirk had you rolling your eyes and shaking your head.