{•Chapter Seven•}

Start from the beginning

At the sound of the ladder to the catwalk unhitching and sliding down, Leon called out to the only other person he knew who was around. "Gwen, was that you?"

"I'm still over here, Leon," she replied as she reached the hole in the catwalk and jumped over it. She walked through the small room and over to the ladder just as Leon climbed up.

"Did you see who unlatched the ladder?" He asked once he was back on the catwalk.

Gwen shook her head. "No, I didn't."

Leon's eyes narrowed as he searched the machinery room. "Somebody's watching us..."

"Whoever they are, they helped us-a little late, I might add. And now that the creature's gone, we can move forward. I wouldn't want to stick around in case that thing comes crawling back from wherever it fell."

"Yeah. Let's see where this takes us," Leon said, tossing the shotgun across his back.

When they entered the control room, Leon pulled a lever and created a path across the large gap. With clanking footsteps, they crossed to the other side and entered a small operators room. Down a small path in the back of the room was a ladder that led to a manhole above.

Before climbing up the ladder, a strange feeling washed over Leon. He froze for a few seconds, but shook away the odd sensation. Gwen noticed his change in demeanor and grew concerned. "What's wrong, Leon?"

"Just a... weird, foreboding feeling. Stay here until I check what's above us. I've a feelings this sensation isn't just nothing."

Gwen didn't want to be left behind after Leon promised to do everything together, but the dark expression on his face made her rethink for a few seconds. "Uh, yeah. Just shout for me if it's safe."

He nodded. "Will do."

Leon climbed the ladder and pushed up on the metal plate to survey the area. He was blinded from the headlights of a police cruiser for a brief second before his eyes adjusted. "It's the parking garage," he muttered to himself as he pushed the manhole cover aside and climbed out.

In the distance, Leon spotted a parking authorization meter by the entrance. As he approached the device, he used his flashlight to see if he had any unwanted tagalongs following him or alerted to his presence. Now standing in front of the meter, he groaned once he realized he didn't have a keycard to open the entrance of the garage. "Damn. Needs a keycard..."

Claws scraping against the asphalt and snarling could be heard from behind Leon. Dread rose in his chest as he spun to face the source of the sound, disbelief crossing over his face. "You gotta be kidding me..."

A Dobermann lurked a few feet away, eyes clouded over with blood and slobber dripping from its mouth. Leon grimaced at the image and went to grab his pistol, but the dog attacked and pounced on him, pinning him to the ground. "Get off of me!"

Down below, Gwen heard Leon's shouting and scrambled up the ladder as fast as she could. At the top, she heard a gunshot and peeked over the edge of the manhole to see who fired the bullet. A woman in a trench coat, sunglasses, and heels had shot the Dobermann pinning Leon down. "Hey," she casually responds.

Leon pushes the dog's body off of him and eyes the woman. "Who's that?"

"Stay sharp," she replies, pistol at the ready.

Gwen crawled out of the manhole, her footsteps silent as she drew her handgun. Leon saw her sneaking up behind the woman and drew his own pistol, aiming it at the mysterious individual. "Lower it," she commanded, closing the distance between her and Leon with her weapon aimed at him. She pulled something out of her pocket and flipped it open. "FBI."