{•Chapter Six•}

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You need to focus on other matters. I am the least of your concern, Gwendolyn."

"Lieutenant, that's not-"

"Yes, it's true. Stop worrying about me."

When Marvin and Gwen heard the sound of grinding stone, they eyed the goddess statue. Underneath the sculpture was a passageway, but it was obscured due to one medallion missing. "Elliot was right," Gwen said, astonished at the discovery.

"One more medallion and we'll be able to get out of here," Leon stated, smiling at the glimpse of hope.

"And we know exactly where it is. All we need is a way to get to it," Gwen smiled, her eyes trained on Leon's back.

"Then go. No more wasting time with me," Marvin grunted, closing his eyes as he panted.

Gwen patted the lieutenant on the shoulder. "To the operations room we go."

<--------<<<<<<<<<<

Back in the west hallway, Leon and Gwen had their pistols out and shot a handful of zombies as they made their way to the operations room. Making it to their destination, Leon used the bolt cutters and snapped the chain keeping them from proceeding forward. It fell to the floor and Leon pushed open the door.

"What is that?" Gwen questioned when she spotted a strange device on the desk.

Leon grabbed the gadget, examining it closer. "It's a detonator." He flipped it over and saw it was missing a battery. "Shit."

"What's wrong?" Gwen asked.

"It needs a battery. We could use this to detonate the C4," he replied.

"Oh!" Gwen searched her hip pouch for the battery she found in the S.T.A.R.S. office. "I found one on the second floor. Take it."

Leon accepted the alkaline battery and placed it in the compartment. Flipping it back over, he watched as the detonator came to life with a red glow. "Alright, it's working."

"Please be careful with that. We wouldn't want to trigger it before we make it to the storage room."

"You don't trust me, Gwen?" Leon asked with a small smirk.

"Oh, please. You are the person I trust the most. I don't trust explosives even with trained professionals," Gwen confesses. "I've heard too many stories about them being triggered and exploding without warning."

"Well," Leon snickered. "We better take it to the third floor quickly, then."

"You've no idea how happy I'll be once we get rid of it and grab that third medallion."

Leon and Gwen opened the door adjacent to the one with the heart on it. Before the archivist stepped out into the hallway, the blonde grabbed her arm and yanked her back into the room. The door slowly closed as Leon pushed Gwen behind him and grabbed his shotgun. He handed the detonator to her as he reloaded the weapon. Baffled at his sudden protective manner, Gwen held the device close to her. "What's the issue?"

"Stay here," he responded, not answering her question.

"Hold on a sec!" Gwen lunged forward and grabbed his sleeve. "What are you planning to do?"

"It's another one of those things we ran into earlier. Stay here and don't leave this room. I'll come back and get you when it's dead," he sternly commanded.

"I can help! If there's two of us, we can take it down faster," Gwen protested. "I can-"

Leon silenced her with a kiss before quickly pulling away and storming out the door. Once out in the hallway, he pressed his back against the door to prevent Gwen from following him. He could hear her desperate banging against the door and begging him to rethink his plan. He knew she would be angry at him once he kills the monster, but his mind was plagued with the images from his nightmare and he couldn't bear losing her.