{•Chapter One•}

Start from the beginning

Gwen slid the thick book into the place it belonged with another sigh. "This is ridiculous..."

"What is?" A voice asked her from behind.

The young woman gasped in shock as she spun to face the person who'd snuck up on her. "What the hell, Marvin?! You gave me a heart attack!"

The officer chuckled at her angry expression. "Sorry, Gwen. But, where's your gun?"

"On the table," she replied.

"What if I were one of those things? You'd be dead right now," he stated.

"If you were one of those monsters, I'd hear the groans and hissing from a mile away. They're not exactly quiet." Gwen rolled her eyes and decided to change the subject. "Anyway, why won't you or anyone else tell me who the rookie was supposed to be? Even Ned wouldn't let me see his file."

Marvin smirked at the sable-haired woman. "The entire station was messing with you, but I still won't tell you who it was supposed to be."

Gwen felt her eye twitch slightly. "You do realize we're smack-dab in the middle of Hell where either one of us could be a meal in the next few minutes, right?"

"Yeah," Marvin answered stoically. "But you'll have to find out on your own. I ain't saying a word."

"Oh, come on! You're not even gonna tell me in the middle of a crisis?!"

"No."

Gwen groaned loudly, running a hand through her hair. "You're unbelievable!"

"Says the woman who's still archiving cases."

"Ugh!" Gwen felt like she was going to rip her hair out, but she bit her tongue and tried to calm down. "Whatever..." She stomped down the stairs and headed to the main hall for a small break before returning to her work.

The other surviving officers found it strange how she would continue to archive cases with the dead roaming around. To her, archiving had been something she enjoyed and it always kept her occupied. It kept her mind from wandering to the monsters who now wandered the hallways of the precinct, searching for a way to reach them in their safe haven.

When she reached the front desk to see how well they were doing on supplies, she noticed David was missing. "David?" She called out, receiving no response. A small piece of paper caught her eye and she recognized the writing as Officer Ford's. Grabbing the small snippet, she read the note.

Went to check out the west hallway. Be back shortly.

"What a moron. Why would he go to the most infested part of the building without help?" Gwen asked herself. She decided to search for David, hoping to bring him back in one piece or to help him if he needed a hand. She grabbed a flashlight and left the main hall.

-West Hallway-

With the flashlight piercing through the darkness, Gwen cautiously walked down the corridor. When she turned the corner, a gunshot resounded through the hallway along with a bloodcurdling scream. The archivist froze in her tracks, a chill crawling down her spine as her eyes widened in fear. She knew it was David who screamed, but she couldn't bring herself to run and help him. Her legs refused to budge an inch due to the fear festering inside her. She couldn't even move her arms.

David's screaming suddenly ceased, signaling he was dead or he would become one of the zombies. Gwen quickly placed a hand over her mouth to prevent her own scream from escaping and attracting whatever monster had silenced Officer Ford.

Suddenly, the window beside her shattered and one of the monsters toppled through the new entry point. She shook the fear from her body, patting the holster strapped to her thigh. "My gun..." She gasped. When she realized it was still in the library, she groaned. "Shit!"