Counting Elephants

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry. If there's something luring in the dark I'll punch it."

"Good to hear." Joseph smiled a little. He sat down on the bed, looking even paler in the dim light.

Sebastian sat down next to him. "Maybe it's a little because of the weather. It's getting really hot again."

"Possible... but I don't think so. I actually feel cold and empty."

"Then I'll warm you up." Sebastian laid an arm around him.

"Could you please put on a shirt at least?"

"What, aren't I sexy enough for Mister Oda?" Sebastian crossed his arms.

Joseph rolled his eyes. "You're sweating. That's gross."

"Sorry for being hot." Sebastian sighed and stood up again. "I'm back in a minute."

"I'll be waiting." Joseph tucked up his legs.

Sebastian went back to the bedroom and grabbed his T-shirt from the ground. He took a little look at his peacefully sleeping wife before he returned to Joseph.

"Better?"

His partner nodded and laid down, staring at the ceiling.

Sebastian sat down on the bed. "Shall I read you a bedtime story?"

"Funny."

"No, I mean it. It might make you tired and calm."

"I doubt that." Joseph took off his glasses, placing them on the bedside table. "I can't feel calm. Not at the moment."

Sebastian laid down next to him. "Then I will stay."

"You... want to sleep in the bed with me?" Joseph looked at him quite surprised.

"If it helps, sure."

"That... that might help." Joseph put up the pink fairy blanket, covering them both.

"Then I'll do this." Sebastian turned off the bedside lamp. Now on complete darkness Joseph seemed to be scared again. He moved a little closer to him, almost close enough to touch him.

Sebastian turned to him, embosoming him tight. Joseph at first was a little stiff but then he relaxed and leaned his head against his chest.

"I'm here, Joseph.", Sebastian leaned his head against his partner's. "And I won't allow anyone to hurt you again."

Joseph didn't say anything but moved a little closer. Sebastian felt his heart beating hard. He had to be really scared...

"Try to calm down. Count sheep something like that."

"Sheep?" Joseph looked up with a little smirk.

"Or elephants, I don't care." Sebastian stroked his cheek. "Just take a deep breath, close your eyes and count... whatever you like to count."

Joseph laid down his head on him again, closing his eyes. Having him in his arms like this, Sebastian noticed how slim he had become. His partner had never been fat but now he seemed almost underweighted.

"You have to eat more, partner."

Sebastian didn't get a response. Actually surprised he noticed that Joseph already had fallen asleep. His chest was moving slowly and his mouth stood a little open.

"My, my. So all you needed was a little bit of body warmth?" Sebastian stroked through his hair with a smile. He thought about leaving but it seemed wrong. Joseph could only sleep so calm because he promised to protect him.