Counting Elephants

Start from the beginning

"Will be coming soon." Suddenly feeling like starving, Sebastian took a big piece of Juanita's special made Mexican Manicotti. The taste of it and the aftermath of his quicky with Myra made him feel at least a little better.

Finally Joseph entered the room, dressed up in fresh clothes, got his hair done, smelling like Chanel again. But his look couldn't really hide his condition. He was pale and his voice trembled a little as he excused himself for being too late. He didn't eat much but politely emptied his plate, praising how good it tasted. Juanita was pleased.

After dinner Juanita left and Myra brought Lily to bed. She didn't want to but of course nobody cared. Myra was reading her a bedtime story while Joseph unpacked his stuff, making himself at home in the guestroom. Sebastian helped him but they both were quiet. As they finished Sebastian quietly wished Joseph a good night. He returned it and gave him at least a little smile.

Completely exhausted, Sebastian entered his bedroom. He immediately put all his clothes off, except his briefs, throwing them on the floor. Then he crawled onto his bedside, covering himself up to the nose with his blanket. He knew he maybe should brush his teeth, wash himself or whatever but he just couldn't. He just wanted to sleep and thank god he fell asleep pretty fast.

When Sebastian awoke, it was still dark. Myra was sleeping next to him, snoring silently. It made him smile a little.

He took a look at the alarm clock. 3:12am. Wonderful.

Since he was fully awake Sebastian quietly stood up. On this time, nobody would bother if he allowed himself a glass of whiskey. Or maybe two.

As he was on his way to the living room he suddenly bumped into Joseph who was wearing a plain T-Shirt and shorts. The younger one looked quite pale and had tears in his eyes as he looked at him, murmuring a quiet "Sorry".

"You're still awake?", Sebastian asked carefully. Joseph nodded. "Is... everything okay?" It was a dumb question. The dumbest question ever, probably.

"I'm okay."

"You were crying."

"Yes... I..." Joseph blushed a little. "I just found out that going to the toilet is really painful. I'm okay."

"Oh!" Sebastian scratched his head. "Well, sorry to hear that."

"Why are you awake?"

"I don't know. I woke up without a reason." Sebastian shrugged.

"At least you could sleep." Joseph smiled a little. "I was afraid you were rolling around just like I did."

"So you haven't even slept yet?"

"I... I just can't." Joseph sighed. "I can't turn off the light. I feel so unsafe."

"You are safe here."

"Tell that to my anxiety."

"You're safe here, Joseph's anxiety."

Now his partner had to smile a little. "Hey... uhm... Sebastian. Since you're awake... maybe you could... come to my room and... and stay until I fall asleep... No... I... I'm sorry. That was a stupid idea."

"It's not. I'll come." Sebastian smiled while walking to the guestroom. Joseph followed him and they got inside.

Joseph did leave the light on and also the bedside lamp. The bed really looked like he was rolling around all the time.

"Oh my." Sebastian padded his shoulder. "Let's get this off first." He shut off the light so that the room was only lightened by the bedside lamp. Joseph moved over to him.