"Hello, I'm here to see Mr. Stark," you announced as if it was something you said every day.

The woman at the desk smiled at you before turning her attention back to her computer. "Of course, he's expecting you."

Your eyebrows shot up and your heart began to race. "He is?"

She glanced at you. "You are here for the interview, correct?"

"Of course," you covered quickly. "I'm just a little nervous."

"You'll be fine, dear." She pointed to a set of doors. "Elevator's just there. Announce that you're here to see Mr. Stark and you'll be taken to the appropriate floor."

You took the visitor's badge she presented to you and gave a nod of thanks before hurrying onto the elevator. A glance at the badge showed the name Sara Smith. Well, you would happily be Sara Smith for a bit if it got you in to see Tony.

When the elevator arrived at the correct floor, you stepped out into an empty room. Your gaze darted around taking in everything. This appeared to be private living quarters, not an office space. "Hello?" you called out.

The now familiar face of Tony Stark peered out from a doorway just down the hall. He looked you over from head to toe and the corner of his mouth quirked up. "You're Ms. Smith?"

"Why is that amusing?" You were impressed you could even get the words out now that you were this close to him.

He stepped fully out of the room and walked toward you as he waved a hand through the air in dismissal. "I'm just surprised Pepper let you get this far in the process is all."

"Actually, I'm—"

He held up a hand to cut you off. "Let's just get to it, shall we? What makes you qualified to be my assistant? And don't regurgitate whatever Pepper told you to tell me. Give me an honest answer."

"Your assistant?" you echoed.

"Okay, the assistant around here. But mostly mine." He gave you a full smile then and you forced yourself to take a deep breath past the tightness in your chest.

"Mr. Stark, I'm not—"

Again, he cut you off. "Don't tell me you're not an assistant. That would mean you lied on your resume and that's not possible. Pepper always vets potential employees."

"Well, I am an assistant. Technically." You weren't certain whether to be amused or frustrated with him.

"Now, that's interesting wording. Technically?"

You crossed your arms over your chest. "I have a pre-law degree. I've been working as a paralegal and assistant in my father's law firm."

He tilted his head, his gaze sharpening as he took you in. "Why stop at pre-law? Why not go all the way?"

You shrugged. "I like the research side of things more than the arguing side. Though I'm not sure my father would agree with that statement."

"So, you're argumentative?"

"If I believe in something strongly enough, sure."

"And the only job you've had is working for your father?"

"Well, I don't really consider my summers carhopping as relevant experience."

His eyebrows shot up with that. "It might be. What was your uniform like? Did you have to wear skates?"

Your lips twitched. "I fail to see how any of that is relevant."

He took a step toward you. "Just trying to get an accurate picture in my mind is all."

The two of you stood just a few feet apart, gazes locked as you tried to figure one another out.

"Finger me," he said, breaking the tension between the two of you.

You coughed. "Excuse me?"

He held up his phone as he attempted to give you a look of innocence. "Index finger here please?"

You placed your finger on the square on his screen, pulling away when it beeped. "You need to work on that."

"Hmm?" he said when he glanced up from whatever he was reading on his phone.

"The innocent thing. I'm not buying it."

He grinned, sent a text, and then put his phone in his pocket. "I'll read the rest of that later. Follow me."

"There's something I need to tell you," you said as the two of you stepped into the elevator.

"Nope. Tell me later." He shoved his hands in his pockets and rocked on his feet as the elevator moved to another floor.

"You're very aggravating, you know that?"

"Yep."

When the elevator door opened, the two of you were met with the glowering face of Pepper Potts. You immediately shifted into a more professional stance and cleared your throat. She gave you a forced smile before turning her attention fully back on Tony.

She held up her phone. "What is this, Tony? You can't have possibly hired someone already. And who is she?"

He looked surprised though you didn't buy it for a moment. He was enjoying this. "I thought that would be obvious. She's my new assistant."

"I am?"

"No, you're not," Pepper answered, and not politely.

Now you were tempted to be his assistant just to piss her off.

Tony strode down the hallway, the two of you trailing behind. "Yes, she is," he said to Pepper. He opened the door to a surprisingly neat office and started to flip through a folder on his desk.

"You don't even know who she is, Tony. This is not one of the candidates I approved of."

Your face heated. You had intended to tell him. Had tried in fact, but he kept stopping you. Now he was going to think you were a liar.

He glanced at you briefly before turning his gaze to Pepper and stating your name. Your real name. "Majored in pre-law. Has worked as a paralegal and assistant to her father's firm since graduation. Part of her duties included press releases. No record. No spouse. No children. Not even a pet. JARVIS is still digging, but that's the gist of it. I'd say she's pretty damned perfect."

Your elation at being called perfect by your soulmate was dampened by the sheer surprise you felt. You suppose you shouldn't be that shocked. This was Tony Stark and you'd guessed he was running your print when he asked you to touch his phone. But still.

Pepper's expression as she turned to you told you she was just as shocked as you were, though she was quick to hide it behind a mask of indifference. "What he means to say is that you will be expected to on call and prepared to respond to the team's needs at any time."

"That's...unusual." That didn't quite cover it but you couldn't think of a better word at the moment.

Tony gave Pepper a pointed look before handing you a piece of paper. "There is a more formal contract and non-disclosure that need to be signed, but that is the outline of salary and benefits."

The amount of numbers in the salary alone was enough to have you sucking in a breath in surprise. Your eyes widened with every benefit you read.

"I assume you haven't made living arrangements yet?"

You shook your head without looking up at him.

"We'll add that to the contract as well then. You can use one of the apartments in the tower."

You glanced up in surprise as his words shook you from your trance. This isn't what you were here for. That was when you realized Pepper had moved around the desk and was pressed into Tony's side, arm around his waist. Oh. The press had put them together for years, but it had proven to be rumor every time. Apparently not anymore.

"Well, what do you say?" Tony asked when you were quiet for too long.

You wanted to say no. To run back to California with your tail between your legs, but you knew you'd regret if forever if you did. Instead, you cleared your throat and forced a smile. "I'd say you have a new assistant."