Chapter Twenty One

Începe de la început

And where was Thomas? He just disappeared without bothering to tell me where he was going. A scream of frustration slid up to my lips, and I wanted nothing more than to let it out and make my throat sore from it. I suppressed the urge, because doing that would be stupid.

"Divinity's children!" James cursed as he threw his cards against the table. "How are you so good at this?"

Peggy flashed him a triumphant smile and swept up all the cards on the table with one hand. "Like I've said countless times before, I am a goddess in disguise."

I watched sullenly as they continued their game. Peggy won the round easily, getting exactly what she had betted. Nobody seemed surprised, but everybody seemed upset.

"Can we play something else now?" Elizabeth asked. "I vote for Go Fish."

"Can someone just tell me where Thomas is?"

"What happened to you?" Aaron demanded, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair. "You're not typically a barrel of sunshine, but today you're a nightmare."

I clenched my jaw in annoyance.

"I thought you would've told them already."

I swirled around in my chair to see Thomas standing in the doorway. He seemed calmer, happier even, which was the exact opposite of how I felt. His posture was far too relaxed.

"Where did you go?" I asked, trying to keep hostility out of my voice.

Thomas shook his head in dismissal, indicating that it didn't matter. "Why haven't you told them yet?"

"Told us what?" Washington asked steadily, looking over at where he was standing.

Thomas joined us at the table and sat down in an empty chair across the table from me. I really hope that he didn't purposefully choose to sit that far away. But when he glanced over at me, his eyes were nothing if not gentle and encouraging, so I dismissed the thought and returned his smile.

"Well, I had a dream a few hours ago that was pretty interesting. I think the king is going to kill all of us with a giant mind-controlled dragon, so..."

"That is not how I would have opened that conversation," Thomas said as a heavy silence landed on the table.

By now, Hercules had come over and placed his hands on the carved wood between Lafayette and Angelica. John, who looked bleary eyed and still sleepy, had followed him.

"Any particular reason why?" Washington asked. He had gone rigidly calm, and it was sort of frightening.

"Umm... so Thomas and I saw the Kingsmen hunting down a dragon and they managed to subdue it. So now the king has a dragon chained up in some sort of maze... thing? I... I don't know why he showed it to me but I don't think it's gonna be good for anyone."

The only noise for a while was that of Thomas's fingers tapping against the table.

"A maze thing?" Hercules asked, repeating my words softly. His question was more directed at Washington than me. "Do you think that's the Labyrinth?"

"Why would the king put a dragon in his Labyrinth?"

"Why would the king do anything?" Lafayette returned with a pointed glance at Angelica. He leaned back in his chair and considered it for a moment.

"I don't think it's a good thing to let him have a dragon in his possession," Elizabeth murmured. Her hands were in front of her face, a small flame moving across her fingertips with all the grace of a ballet dancer.