Part 2

Within five minutes the two men had positioned themselves on the top floor of the barn. From there, they could see the farmhouse. They'd left the lights on, hoping that it would deter them and as the house and the barn were very close to one another, they were sure to see anyone who came near.

Gordon turned his attention to Eli, who was shuffling about on the floor, trying to find a position to sleep for a few hours. Although it was agreed that they would take it in shifts to help the night pass by, Gordon had no intention of waking him.

Gordon felt sleeping would be impossible for him; he was much too anxious about what was to transpire. Was an exchange to be made on that very night? Gordon knew that the trails on the Duke and Duchess' murder were going cold, even though a single arrest had taken place. It would be safe for the Kelsey gang to take their prize out of hiding now. He looked at the box beside him. He felt confident in his assumption that it would be safe with them. But Eli's home? He was not so sure. They'd tear that place apart brick by brick in searching. With a sigh, he settled down to wait.

The night was sharp and Gordon struggled to keep the chill out of his fingers. Sleep tried to drape itself across his shoulders, but he was much too used to staying up all night. Another night of relentless yawning was nothing new. He began to ache with the cold tricking him into tensing his body.

Gordon focused on looking out the large broken window and to that little house below. He had some fond memories of that house. He'd been a close friend of the Dunn family for a long time. Eli's father, Blair, had been part of the police force too. He and Gordon worked together for a long time. Blair had been an excellent teacher, helping to make him one of the best at his occupation.

Gordon didn't even want to imagine Blair's response if he were able to see them like this. Shivering, hiding in wait for one of the most feared gangs in all Britain to protect a few pots and pans. Gordon knew for a fact that this was not how Eli's father imagined him looking after his son when he was honoured with being assigned as Eli's godfather. How was he meant to protect him from the danger that loomed over them so frightfully? Why did Eli never listen? Why did Gordon always end up going along with whatever he suggested?

The hours succeeded one another slowly, like water dripping from a leaky tap. The moon was beginning to float back down towards the ground when finally, the still air rippled. Gordon saw movement. Shadows emerged on the pathway and went towards the house. Gordon sat up and settled his hand on the revolver. There were two of them, faces shrouded by their flat caps. Two; though it was not ideal, as long as it stayed like that he could leave Eli to rest. He wasn't going to risk him running off to stop them.

He watched as they looked in all the windows and then crouched at the door, no doubt to pick the lock, and then slithered inside. No noises were made, there wasn't so much as a whisper amongst the field mice in the grass outside. Long minutes passed until they came back out. They carried none of Eli's possessions with him that he could see.

A woman stormed towards the barn, with the other following behind. Gordon's hand clamped onto Eli's shoulder. Eli woke with a start but made no noise. They shuffled back and hid behind a large stack of mouldy haystacks, out of the line of sight in time for her to throw open the door. It wobbled on weak hinges. Her companion had to catch the door before it hit him as it closed. Eli and Gordon peered around from behind the hay. It was the supposed James and Maggie. They looked similar, both with rat brown hair, pale and gaunt serpentine faces.

Grumbling to herself, the woman lit a cigarette and smoked her anger away. Half of it was gone by the time she began to look around. She kicked over the occasional object in her path.

"They said it would be in the chimney!" she scowled. The man stood, holding an unlit cigarette between his lips and striking a match against the rotten boards. "Da's not gonna be impressed," he said, lighting it calmly.
"No, and you know who'll get it in the neck!"

Eli and Gordon exchanged glances, but the grumble of an automobile caught their attention. Gordon made no attempt to hide a wince as three other men walked inside. There he was, the man he dreaded seeing so much: Jon Kelsey. There was a cigar clamped between his teeth, his crisp suit stood out from all the others' raggy waistcoats. His height wasn't so noteworthy, but the broadness of his shoulders was frightful. His head reminded Gordon of a shark, a shark with a sharp, audacious face.

The danger wasn't his cigar-stained teeth nestled in a powerful jaw, but rather the words that passed through them. His troop of men, loyal through blood, were what made him so dangerous. This was a family business, and it showed through their identical glassy eyes. Cold eyes that never rested in looking for new prey. Eli seemed to pick up on Gordon's concern and patted his arm, giving him a slight nod of reassurance.

He clenched his teeth. Perspiration slipped down his neck and oozed from cold palms. Why couldn't Eli have listened to him and left?

"Do you have it?" came the hoarse voice of Jon Kelsey.

The man ground out his finished cigarette on the floor. "It's not there. A new fella's moved into the house. I think he's nicked it."

"Where is he?" He turned to look at the young woman. "Amber, I thought you'd have kept an eye out for 'im with your brother. What are you playing at? I want that bloomin' necklace!" Jon barked. Gordon felt Eli jump.

"I did watch for him at the gate, da. We never saw him leave," Amber reasoned, crossing her arms.

"We're risking the rope for this stash. Warren left a note in its case so we could find the rest before he got arrested. Now get looking- all of you! The lad has to be here. We find him we find the money. Search the whole town if you have to!"

The two men who had accompanied Jon left to search the house. Jon and the two siblings remained. They looked in all the crates and sacks. Jon paced back and forth for some time, savouring the taste of his cigar, the smoke tumbled out of his mouth like wildfire.

"Tobias, have a look up top," Jon said.

"Right, da."

Gordon held his breath. He'd hoped they didn't have the sense to look on the first floor. Minutes passed, mercilessly drawing themselves out. They needed a way to get out. Jon stood still to watch his son. Gordon ducked down and strained to listen.

"Where's the ladder?" Jon pointed out. Gordon could almost taste his pounding heart in his mouth.
"Don't need it, anyway. I can climb up easy enough."
Gordon tensed. Eli. He had to get Eli out of here. If he could do that, then there was at least a chance for him to get help.

Gordon imagined a nod from Jon, for then he heard the stomping feet and slight sounds of straining as he somehow scaled up. Gordon had lifted the ladder onto their floor. They weren't meant to climb! He had to move. No one could be allowed to see Eli leave. He opened the box and snatched up the necklace and the note. Shoving them into Eli's pocket, he dragged him up to his feet. The haystacks meant they couldn't be seen, but they were heard.

He pointed to the window and led Eli to it, pushing the frigid metal of the revolver into his sweaty palm. Eli understood to go first. He slipped out and was able to find a footing on one of the wooden beams. From there he was able to make his way down to the ground, unknown to the Kelsey family. He ran off, avoiding the lights, he knew to not look back.

Gordon was about to follow, but a gunshot in the beam above him stopped him in his tracks. Caught. He was at gunpoint. His heart pounded against his chest as though trying to get out the window without him.

"Hands up!"

Gordon backed away from the window and raised his arms. He suppressed the urge to cuss.

"You weren't the one who opened the door," Tobias grumbled, moving towards him. He noticed the box lying on the ground, empty. He looked out the window, but judging by his expression, Eli was nowhere to be seen. In a moment of anger, Tobias struck Gordon over the back of the head with the revolver. He had no time to react. Gordon crumpled to the ground, oblivious to the world around him.