❄ Prologue ❄

Prologue

There was still no answer. She shrugged her shoulders and turned back around. A low growl sounded very close behind her and she whirled around to stare into a pair of large, yellow eyes. She screamed and stumbled backward suddenly, falling over the body of the elk. The wolf - no, it was too big to be a wolf - the beast stepped forward and lowered it's head to sniff at her. She froze in complete shock of what she was seeing. She stared up into its eyes, her heartbeat thudding inside her throat. The beast stared back at her, it's strangely yellow eyes too intelligent for an animal.

"Ericka!" She heard Emmett calling her name in the distance.

She looked away from the beast, searching for her brother who, by the sound of his very frantic voice, was very close. Praying that he didn't come crashing through the brush and foolishly attacking the beast, she looked back at it but only to find it gone, as if it completely disappeared, never there in the first place. She blinked slowly at the empty space where it had been standing just seconds before Emmett had called her name, wondering where it had gone so suddenly.

There was a loud noise to her right and she jumped suddenly, startled by the sound, her heart pounding furiously inside her chest, as Emmett came crashing through the bushes. He dropped the rabbits and rifle he was holding and hurried over to her side. He knelt down beside his little sister, running his large hands up and down her body, searching for any scrapes and bruises...