Chapter Forty

Start bij het begin

"Previous members of the Order of the Phoenix," Harry murmurs into his ear while rubbing his back. "It's just a cover up name so no one will snitch. The actual Ministry won't be involved unless absolutely necessary."

"Precisely," Minerva folds her hands in front of her. "Your mother personally asked to be a part of the Order after her trials ended and she was subjected to house arrest. Which means you are also under the protection of the Order, and none other than Mr. Potter, himself."

"My mother," Draco sits up and looks at Blaise, who's standing somewhere near the door. "Did you know about this?"

"Yes," he holds his hands up when Draco's eyes turn a stormy gray. "But I only knew she had asked for protection, not that she wanted to be a part of it."

"She made a wise decision," Professor McGonagall interrupts Draco before he gets to speak his mind again. "You are to remain inside the castle grounds while your mother is being tracked down."

Draco makes a noise of protest and moves away from Harry, standing from the bed. "I must go. I need to be sure she is not hurt."

"It's a ploy," Harry tells him. "That's the point, they want you to leave the castle. Increases their chances of capturing you."

"Well, it bloody worked," he snaps back at Harry, moving further away. "And I will not tolerate being baited like this. This is a family affair, now, which means it involves me and my mother. Not the rest of you, definitely not you."

An instant gloom clouds over Harry's face that looks a lot like hurt, but his eyes gleam angrily as he takes a step forward. "No, of course not. Forgive me for trying to avoid your mother attending another funeral, I didn't know that was the Malfoy way."

"Taunts of my death will do little to sway me, Potter. I have faced death, and I will do it again for my mother. You know nothing about me."

"I don't need to know anything about you to try and keep you safe, you insufferable prat! McGonagall, your mother, and I say you stay inside this castle. That's three against one, which means you have no choice."

"You have no...!"

Harry stalks forward and takes Draco's bicep, hauls him towards himself so he can hiss into his ear. "I have every right. You belong to me just as much as I belong to you. Listen. Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints."

No one expects the crack that resounds after Harry's done talking. Headmistress McGonagall's eyes only widen but she remains tucked into her place, with her hands folded in front of her. Hermione's hands fly up to cover her mouth as she gasps, and she hesitates to take a step forward when Blaise hurries to pull Draco away.

Draco's entire body is oscillating with fury, his hands fists at his side as Blaise holds him tightly. "Touch me again and your glasses will not be the only thing flying off your face."

The Gryffindor's head is still turned from the strength of the hit, and it's with deliberation that he reaches up to swab the top of his cheekbone. His finger comes down dotted with a spot of blood, and when he turns his eyes up to Draco, his irises are glowing red.

Hermione finally snaps out of her shock, but when she moves to take a step forward, Harry lifts a hand to stop her at the same time Professor McGonagall blocks her path with an outstretched arm. "Get out."

The Headmistress immediately swirls in place and drags a gaping Hermione Granger with her, leaving the door ajar for Blaise.

"All of you," Harry's other-worldly voice growls. The tone of his voice calls to something inside of Draco and he feels his inner form fighting for the spotlight.

Blaise notices Harry's neck starts rippling, and then there's red lines that start cascading down his skin, like tiger stripes. They stretch all the way down his arms. "Draco," he murmurs into his best friend's ear. "I think you really pissed him off this time."

"You should go," Draco looks up to him. One of his irises are glowing silver and the other eye is pulsating between glowing and just staying gray. "I need to deal with this."

"Will he hurt you?"

"No," the blond moves away from Blaise when Harry starts pacing in front of them, his eyes never leaving Draco, like he's ready to pounce on him. "We are just going to talk."

"Can't I wait in here?"

Harry snarls.

"You may wait outside," Draco whispers. "Go."

As soon as the door clicks shut, Harry surges forward and takes Draco by the neck, walking him backwards until he has him pressed to the wall.

"You will not hit me again," Harry's voice dips an octave, he sees the moment it registers in Draco's mind that he can't object. It's the same moment he lifts his eyes to glare at Harry. He notices his eyes are no longer glowing red. "The only time you will touch me aggressively will be when I'm fucking you into the mattress. Do you understand?"

Draco says nothing.

"You will listen to what I tell you because I do it so you don't get killed, you idiot. And you are going to stop acting like you're high and mighty. I stopped being your enemy long ago, Draco, and I don't fancy having to keep constant tabs on you."

The Slytherin still says nothing.

"You will not apologize," Harry says it with a knowing tone. "But you will stop acting like a fool in front of people who care about you. We are your friends. And if that means anything to you, then you will realize that your mother's kidnapping is no reason to throw yourself in the face of danger."

Harry moves back when Draco's eyes swarm violently into a light grey, almost white. "She could be harmed!"

"She won't be," Harry says. "I'll make sure of it."

"Contrary to what you think," Draco pushes his chest, still glaring. "You cannot protect everyone. People die, Potter. And there is not a damn thing you can do about it."

He shakes his head and turns, walks towards the door. He stops before it.

"I will not leave the castle. But I also will not stand by and do nothing. My mother is all I have, Potter. If I loose her, what else do I have to live for?"