1

Steve first felt pain during a game of spin the bottle. It was Bucky's turn and it landed on a girl named Mary. The game was more so to see if anyone you knew was your soulmate then to make your soulmate feel pain. But normally no one matched.

Steve held it in for a second, trying to be brave through the pain, but eventually he had to let out a low gasp. Everyone in the circle looked at him, and he tried to steel his facial expression to be controlled.

"I'm okay, only asthma."
He lied, and everyone accepted it.

He knew that it was either Mary or Bucky, but they seemed to really like each other and he didn't want to hurt them.

As more time passed, Bucky and Mary began to date, and Steve was left to sit in anguish every time.

But after graduating they broke up, and Steve was delighted. He started to get his hopes up that maybe he could give it a go with Mary, seeing as he was (totally not) straight and every time she kissed Buck he felt pain.

But right as he was going to call her, he saw Bucky kiss another girl's cheek, and his chest burned again.

So Bucky was his soulmate, but Bucky was straight, and he was straight.

Steve had some serious problems.

Bucky was a ladies man, and it was regular for Steve to feel pain. But Steve had barely ever talked to a women, so Bucky never felt any of the pain he did.

Of course he didn't want Bucky to feel pain. But he also was tired of seeing him with other people. Not that I care, he reminded himself.

So, after he was turned into a bigger and stronger version of himself, Captain America, he suddenly thought that maybe he could make Bucky realize.

But then Bucky was missing, and Steve had other things to worry about then his love life. So he went all the way to Germany to find him.

When they were back home safely, Steve had honestly forgotten about trying to make Bucky feel jealous. Instead he was more excited that he was back and safe.

Both men had drinks and were talking when Peggy Carter came around. She was pretty, confident, smart, and kind, a perfect girl.

Only Steve wasn't sure he liked girls anymore.

They talked for a moment, and after some light flirting, with Bucky chiming in, she kissed his cheek before walking off. Steve didn't feel anything special, like what was supposed to happen when you kissed your soulmate for the first time, but he did see Bucky clutching his chest and leaning heavily on the bar.

The initial worry had passed after a moment, and Steve leaned back and crossed his arms. He stared at Bucky as he slowly got over the shock of the kiss. It always hurt more the first time.

A small smirk played on Steve's lips as Bucky finally got the strength to sit up.

"You okay Buck?"

"I'm invisible. I'm turning into you, this is like a horrible dream."
He laughed as he looked at Steve again.

"I guess you won't be winning anymore ladies, will you?"
Bucky looked down again quickly, and looked back up with a quizzical expression in his face.

"How long have you known, Steve? God, I can't even remember my first kiss, it must've hurt like hell."

"It's okay Buck, it dulls out eventually. I've known since middle school. You kissed a girl named Mary."

"That's right!"
He smiled widely at Steve, and Steve couldn't help but smile back.

"So what do we do now?"
Steve had never really thought that far ahead, he never had quite believed that anyone would want to kiss him. And even then, he was loyal to Bucky, even if he didn't know it.