Chapter 2: Lonely? Not Me!

It was still night when you woke up, blearily reading the 5:28 AM on the clock at the other side of the room. "Mhm..." You grumbled, feeling your way around your bedsheets as you felt the bed dip beside you.

"You're awake! OK, cool," a voice whispered beside you. Looking over the man with bright red hair, who apparently wasn't a part of a weird dream, sat next to you with a concerned look. You were about to scream again but he shushed you while trying to appear nonthreatening. The fuzzy ears sitting on top of his head went down as if he was upset. Ears...werewolf...right.

"Uh...what...oh god this isn't a dream, is it?" you asked while scanning the man up and down. Seems like he'd grabbed a towel to put on, at least, so he wasn't as naked as before. You also noticed a tail sticking out from behind him. "I adopted a...werewolf. For real?"

He nodded, laying his head down on his hands in a clear pose of submission. "Yeah, for real. You, uh, fainted...so I guess it was more of a shock than I thought it'd be?"

You sat up, rubbing your eyes of the remnants of sleep before looking properly at the werewolf man in your bed. "What was your name, again?"

"Kirishima," he said, sitting up as well with a friendly a grin as he could muster. Even though the sun wasn't up yet you could tell this guy was quite...well, attractive. And muscular. He had a strong jawline, broad shoulders, and abs you could open a beer on. Aside from the claws, ears, tail, sharp teeth, and dog-like mannerisms he looked fairly human. "Don't take me back to the shelter! I'll be good, promise!" Kirishima leaned in close with those puppy-like eyes of his and you had to clear your throat.

"Woah, woah! I wasn't really planning on it. I don't think they'd take you back looking like this anyway, but can you, just...give me a bit to process? I planned on adopting a dog, not a werewolf," you mumbled while sliding off the bed to head into the kitchen for a glass of ice water to clear your head. Crimson eyes watched you leave the room but did not follow you down the hall. "This was not part of my weekend agenda..."

Heading back towards the bedroom you turned around, back towards the kitchen, and grabbed a second glass of water for your new roommate. You couldn't let him drink out of a dog bowl, now could you?

Kirishima sat right where you left him on the bed, his ears perking up and tail wagging when you rounded the corner. "Brought you some water, if you want some."

He took the glass with both hands and drank it eagerly, almost child-like in a way. "I'm so used to drinking out of bowls that glasses are something I gotta get used to again." While he drank the cool water you sifted through some drawers to find some actual clothing he might fit into; you couldn't allow him to sit around naked, after all. You tossed him a shirt and some stretchy pajama pants.

Kirishima examined them, then sniffed them, before standing up and letting the towel drop without so much as a blink while you turned around quickly to let him change. Spending so much time as a dog must've had an effect on general modesty and privacy. You felt a tap on your shoulder which prompted you to turn around, and Kirishima stood very close now with arms wide open an inviting grin.

"How do I look?" he asked. You had to laugh because he'd put on the shirt backwards, which you helped correct. "Oops, been a while since I've worn clothes."

"I can tell. So, I guess...tell me about yourself? I imagine you also haven't talked in forever, so go ahead!" At the invitation he promptly lunged forward and wrapped you up in his strong arms, rubbing his cheek against yours while beating his tail, which hung over the top of the pajama pants, so fast it was almost a blur. You stiffened on reflex, not used to such close contact, especially not from a handsome werewolf...person. He seemed friendly enough, but if he was really going to stay here as your...pet? roommate?! then you'd need to set up boundaries soon.

Sitting down on the bed he got straight to work telling you about his life and how he ended up in an animal shelter. During a full moon he turns into a proper werewolf: taller, stronger, more ferocious, but he has full control over his cravings and would never eat or hurt people (you set that tidbit of information aside just in case). He was a huge fan of meat, both raw and cooked, though. Once the full moon is over and the sun rises he turns back into his more humanistic form, living away from most people on the outskirts of town. During these times he must see the moon to be able to turn back and forth, and if he's unable he'll remain in that form. Occasionally there's a moon cycle that puts him at a sort of in-between stage where he turns into a large dog. He made the mistake of wandering too close to a road where he was picked up by shelter workers who were responding to calls of a "large, ferocious-looking dog" wandering around. He'd been in the shelter several months, unable to turn back because there were no windows in his cell-like room at the shelter.

"Wow...what a story," you said when he was done. "I expect you'll want to leave and head back to your home then." You'd known him less than a day but he'd already left quite an impression on you. At that he looked a bit sad, though he tried to hide it (the ears were a giveaway).

Just as he opened his mouth to answer a rubbling echoed in the room...coming from his stomach. "Do you have any meat here? All they fed me was pretty bland dry food at the shelter and I could really go for a burger or six."

The quick change in topic wasn't lost on you, but it was a simple enough request. You walked him into the kitchen where you pulled out some meat you were going to use later this week to make burgers; you could always buy more. Kirishima stood nearly at your shoulder as you seasoned and shaped the patties, sniffing the air eagerly. "Burgers for breakfast, huh?"

"I'm a bad cook, and this smells so good already!" You cooked all four burgers in the package, and he swallowed them as soon as they were down on the plate. "Oh my gosh this is way better than dog food. How can I make it up to you?"

That question caught you off-guard. "Make it up to me? I mean, don't you wanna go back to wherever your home is?" Once again his ears drooped, and dammit if it didn't make you feel a bit bad.

"I don't...know how to get back, really. I dunno where I am in relation to where they grabbed me. And I live by myself and yeah, the dogs were OK but they weren't exactly great conversationalists."

Ah, you understood what he was getting at. "You're lonely. You don't wanna be alone again," you interjected. It wasn't meant to sound accusatory, but his surprised expression and attempt at backtracking told you otherwise.

"I'm not! I mean, uh, maybe? If you really want me to go, I'll go...but I can be a, uh, guard dog! If someone breaks in I'll bite em right on the ass! And I can learn how to cook! And-" You held up a hand, trying to hold back your laugh.

"Ok, alright! Chill out, you can stay. You'll be a roommate rather than a pet, so expect to pull some weight around here. How's that sound?" He threw his hands in the air excitedly before leaping up from his chair and almost tackling you to the ground while trying desperately to lick your face to show his appreciation which caused your ears to burn viciously.

After calming him down and cleaning up your bizarre excuse for breakfast exhaustion started to overtake you since you'd woken up far earlier than you normally did. Kirishima noticed this and, before you could protest, bent down and picked you up bridal-style to carry you back to your bedroom.

"Wh-what are you doing?! Put me down!"

"I can tell you're sleepy, and I wanna pull my weight!" This is definitely not what you meant, but before you could say any more he dropped you onto your bed before cozying up next to you, his face resting on his forearms and knees tucked in tightly as he looked at you like an innocent puppy.

You were too tired to argue that he should really sleep on the couch, so instead you flopped down onto your pillow and snuggled under the warm covers. "Goodnight, Kirishima," you mumbled before closing your eyes to the light breathing beside you.

"Thank you for letting me stay here...goodnight (y/n)."

Kirishima watched you drift off to sleep, making sure you were covered and warm with blankets. Even if it was just for a little while, he could set aside the loneliness in favor of being here in a home with someone else.

Just for a little while.