Chapter Ten: A Duel & A Visit

Start from the beginning

"A bride who you knew I wanted. A bride that you threatened with war to win. That is cruel, even for you," Hugo replied.

"At least I did not lead the young maiden away from my coronation ball," Axel retorted.

"I beg your pardon!" Hugo yelled, indignant. Sofia sucked in a breath of fear as her parents and siblings glanced at her with suspicious expressions. Axel was not only trying to tarnish Hugo's reputation but also her own.

"I left to get the princess a drink. When I returned from the buffet I could not find her. Then I saw you and she reenter the ballroom, both flushed!"

"The princess wanted fresh air. She was flushed because she had seen you and Alfred plotting to kill the Duke of Sermia!"

"What do you mean?" Axel demanded.

"You know perfectly well what I mean. The Duke of Sermia, the Duke of Reeza. These deaths were not random. Both were men loyal to father. Both men are now dead," Hugo told him.

"So? They were old and sick!" Axel declared. He suddenly urged his horse forward and aimed a strike at Hugo. He parried it and the two began to spar. They broke away after a minute and their horses pranced in circles.

"They were both poisoned. The coroner said it had been done with Veratrum, a toxic flower. This flower is grown in our royal gardens," Hugo explained, speaking loudly enough for everyone to hear. "And only one man has the capabilities to brew this flower into a tasteless liquid that can be mixed with any drink."

"Be silent and duel like a man!" Axel roared and charged again. As their swords clanged Sofia began to realize what Hugo's plan was. He was going to tell everyone what his brother had done, right here, right now. But would it work?

"You were never my equal in sword fights," Hugo hissed as he parried another of Axel's strikes.

"All it takes is one lucky hit and you'll be dead upon the ground!" Axel retorted.

"I know you'll kill me anyway!" Hugo declared and directed Lightning away from the fight. They pranced away and Axel growled in anger. "Two dukes, political opponents, even father are dead by your hand!"

"How dare you accuse me of that!"

"Alfred has been tortured and beaten so severely that now he brews the poisons you need out of fear for his life! You have been killing people since you started conversing with the sorcerer and you killed our father out of your own greed!"

"You have no proof! No proof of your statements! You are simply jealous of my bride!"

"Is it really that much of a stretch to think that you are capable of murder?" Hugo demanded. "You are the cruelest prince Amalgamate has had in a century!"

"But you don't have any proof that I killed anyone! Without proof your claims are just a crazy ramblings!" Axel yelled and charged again.

Sofia leaned even closer. The audience was mumbling but they were still unsure which man they should root for. With no proof, Axel would never be defeated. Sofia began to think wildly. Hugo was dueling Axel. He couldn't go look for proof. But Sofia could. She just didn't know where to look.

Suddenly, Sofia's pink amulet began to glow blue. She gasped and grasped it with both hands. Why was it summoning her to the Secret Library now? Was someone in trouble? Sofia glanced back at the duel when she heard a grunt of pain. Hugo had cut Axel's arm. He was leading his horse in a retreat, hissing in anger. Hugo looked sad but determined. He glanced back at Sofia and smiled slightly. Sofia nodded back before she looked back at her amulet.

"You will lose! Admit to your crimes before I run you through with my sword!" Hugo yelled.

"You have no proof that I did anything!" Axel yelled back. Then Sofia gasped aloud. She finally understood. Sofia stood up and got off her throne. She began to leave the booth when a knight blocked her way.