Fourteen years.

I look me down past my orange lacy dress to my tiny feet rapped leather sandals. I look over to the fountain beside me and see my reflection. My golden blonde locks flying free in the wind. When I look In front of me I see jack. The only person I've known almost as long as I've known my mother. We were born two days apart but his age that's higher two days is always bragging. His shirt flows in the wind along with his tan shorts and long brown hair. I look around remembering were at the park. I look at my mother asking if I can go play and she nodds her head yes. After a while of me and Jack trying to slay the dragon we deside to save killing him for latter and to go get a snack. I give him my brownie and he gives me his muffin. "Best friends?" I ask. "For better and for worse. " he says. "What does that mean?" I ask. My two year old mind didn't know yet and neather did jacks three year old one. "I don't know. " he says. "But my mom tould that to Mark at there wedding. " he says. His parents got a divorce before he was born then his mom married Mark five weeks ago.

-end of flashback-

I'm sitting on the couch next to jack trieing to hide the bruise. We're watching wipeout. During the break I feel my phone buzz. 'GET HOME NOW!' It says. It's from my dad. "I got to go. " I say to jack. "Ok." He says. And hugs me. "Happy early birth day. " he say to me. I get up and run to my house. We're only a drive way away. When I open the door I smell alcohol. My dad is home alone with me and drunk.