Andante, Andante

WARNING! This is very cheesy. Enjoy <3

I was never much of a party person. The only reason I'm at this one is for my friend Chaol's birthday. He didn't beg me to come, but he stated that he'd like to have me there. That was enough to guilt me into it.

I told myself that I was coming here to guard, but Dorian had given me a glass of wine telling me to have fun. I'd try.

Sartaq is here somewhere. He left a while ago to get some refreshments, but he probably stopped to talk to someone like her normally does. 

I sigh as I lean against the wall. My safe wall as I call it. Away from everyone. 

I swirl my wine and look through the crowd. Dorian is by the doors, most likely waiting for Manon. Aelin looks drunk hanging onto poor Rowan, who is smiling faintly at his wife. And Yrene is beaming standing close to Chaol. 

"Still not much of a dancer?" A familiar voice says behind me. 

A small smile crosses my face as I turn to Aedion saying, "It has to be the right song."

"And which song would that be?"

"Trying to get me to dance?"

"Thought that Sartaq might want to have at least one with you."

Heat creeps onto my face, but I will myself to stay calm. "He'll have a lot," I sigh. "He can last the night."

"It's Chaol's birthday, let loose a little." Aedion smiles. 

"Go find Lysandra." Is all I say to him. 

"Let loose!" He calls over his shoulder before merging with the crowd. 

I'm alone once more. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

"I'm surprised more people aren't asking you to dance," I state. 

Sartaq's smile has my toes curling as he takes my hand in his own. He runs this thumb down the back of my hand saying, "Then I might miss a dance with you."

I sigh. "That may never happen tonight."

"But there's a chance."

I open myself to protests but he cuts me off. "Am I wrong?"

"Well no, but-"

"Then I'll wait."

"Sartaq-"

"No. I'll wait." 

"Then what happens if I never end up dancing?"

He leans in closer, another smile crossing his lips. "Then it was worth the wait."

Heat again dares to creep up my cheeks. 

"You should enjoy yourself," I say softly, our breath intertwining. 

"I'm enjoying staying here with you." He tells me closing the space between us for a way too short minute. "I'm having a grand time."

"You don't have to flatter me."

Sartaq leans back. "I'm not. It's the truth."

I sigh once more, looking at my fiancee directly in the eyes. "Are you actually having fun?"

He squeezes my hand once, giving me the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. "I am."

I can't help the smile that crosses my face. "If you're sure..."

He kisses me again, holding me as close to him as he possibly can. "I am, and don't try and convince me otherwise." 

"I won't." I breathe, wrapping one hand on his neck the other on his shoulder.