romeo and romeo (au)

this is an alternative universe where the boys meet at a masquerade (like romeo and juliet) but no sad ending or the alt houses bc that throws a wrench in the system lol enjoy :)

Mitchel's POV

"I don't even want to go to that stupid party!" I complain. "But Mitch, you have to. I mean, it's for you and your family." My cousin Jesse said. We're outside in my little garden, throwing darts at a board. I hate parties but yet my family always throws them. I suppose this one is special, though, since it's theme is love. Love, what kind of theme is that?

"I suppose I'll show up." I shrug. "I mean if I don't, I'm sure they'll have someone come and find me." I throw a dart. "Well at least it's a masquerade so no one can really tell who you are." He says. I nod. "Thank goodness for that. No desperate girls flocking to my  side all night long." I kick some dirt. "Sir Cave! Your fencing rehearsal starts in 15 minutes." My 'servant' calls to me from the castle. I nod and wave him off. "You should probably go to that class or your father will kill you." Jesse says, taking the darts from my hand. "I wish I could say that your only joking. " I snicker.  I pat him on the shoulder and take off to go to class. Tonight during the masquerade, I've managed to get a fencing match mixed in as entertainment. I mean, we at least have to have some fun at this boring party. I walk through the hollow halls of my castle and admire how beautiful the sky is today. I sigh and stretch my arms out before pushing open the large doors to the fencing room. I'm instantly greeted by several and I nod along. This why I hate being a prince sometimes. I'm tired of constantly being treated like a god. If that doesn't sound like I'm bragging. I don't know. 

"Ready to take me on today?" My teacher asks me, handing me a sword. "Hell yeah." I nod and put on my helmet. "Alright lad, let's go." He says positioning for battle. "En garde!" I yell and begin a series of twists and turns of my sword at him. I don't even realize that I'm taking out all my anger at him until I really hit him hard. I swish the blade at his helmet and he moves just in time or else I would of accidently taken out one of his eyes. Shit.

He calls the end of the duel and I paus, waiting for the yelling. "Well done." He says, bowing before me. "I'm not in trouble?" I take off my helmet. "No, that was a good move to know, just try not to really kill me in practice, alright?" He smiles, extending a hand. I shake it and hang up my gear.

"Son! It's time to go get ready! What are you doing, playing about?" I hear my mother from the door. I turn and try not to roll my eyes. "I was practicing, for the duel tonight. You know, so I don't die." I state. "Alright, well hurry up. We have 3 hours to get you looking presentable and the ball room spectacular." She says, grabbing hold of me and pulling me to a room. 

What seems like years off my life passes and I'm finally 'presentable'. I'm in a dark maroon suit with my hair no longer in my favorite braids, but brushed out so I look like a raccoon. Well, its really just brushed out like normal, but I hate it. My face has been through hell and back as they decide on which mask is perfect  for me. I really couldn't give a damn. However, my mask is sort of okay. It's a black felt mask with a golden accent around the eyes. It's subtle but nice. 

My mother and her servants finally leave and I have a moment for myself to think. I inspect myself in the mirror to make sure I don't look too stupid. I hear a knock at the door. "Ready?" Jesse smiles. He's got a silly blue suit on and a dark black masks covering his eyes. "Nice suit." I say sarcastically. "Thank you." He laughs and we walk out. 

Countless carriages are outside in the garden and what looks like hundreds of women in silly, poofy dresses come bustling out. I shake my head. Coming down the stairs, I notice the ballroom decked out in balloons and tables and lights and what overall looks like a basic ball. But I do like the dark atmosphere the room presents. The ball begins and I'm dragged in 600 directions as usual. The night progresses on and on, dancing here and there, meeting people and being bored out of my mind. But then, someone caught my eye.