We spent most of the day shopping with my dad's card, eating cheesecake and watching a movie. Then it came time to go to Matthew's house. Matthew wanted us to go with him and told us to wait in the car while he talked to her. He said that she would most likely ask about us when they were done talking. So that was what we did. Matthew went to see his mother, and we waited.

"Do you remember mom's family?" I said to Ray while we waited.

"Not really, just bits and pieces. I know she has like two aunts and an uncle. Grandpa died before we were born and Grandma is still alive." He took a second to think about it. "Yeah, that is all I remember. I know they were nice. I remember one-time mom was arguing with one of them about them not being allowed to see us. But it's all vague."

"Just curious. I think I remember Grandma, but that's it."

"Well, I am sure she is there now. I guess they don't think like mom since dad said they weren't okay with what she said and how she felt about things. I wasn't expecting that. I thought maybe she had felt that way because they did."

"Who knows anymore."

We sat in the car for about fifteen more minutes before Matthew came back out.

"She wants to know why you guys are waiting in the car." Matthew said to us.

"I take it you didn't talk to her then?"

"Oh no, I did. She still wants you to come inside. I don't think she is mad, she actually almost cried."

"So, your mom doesn't hate me?" I cringed waiting for my answer.

He laughed at me, "No, of course not. Come on before she comes to the door."

We went inside and first thing Diane did was hug me. We followed her to the kitchen and took a seat. She set down a plate of cookies and we all went in for them like we were starving kids.

"Mom, tell them what you told me."

We all stopped our greedy eating to pay attention. "Matthew explained to me all the situations that have happened and boy was it a handful. I just want you know that I don't feel any ill feelings at all. I am truly sorry about everything going on. But you don't have to worry, my son is old enough to make his own decisions." She sighed, "I have had him for seventeen years and I think you two need each other more right now. If either of you ever need a place to stay or get away, both of you are always welcome here. We have spare rooms."

Ray and I smiled and thanked her. We looked at each other and then back at Diane. "I don't think things will be so bad at home now." I said thinking about how my mom was no longer there. It really did hurt that she wouldn't be there anymore, but after her words yesterday, it hurt a lot less.

Diane reached her hand out to touch mine. "Oh, I'm really sorry about your mom, honey."

I just shook my head and looked away. I was trying not to think about it.

"Mom, let's change the topic." Matthew said.

Diane perked up, "Yes, sorry."

We sat with Diane for a couple of hours talking. I learned that she used to sell real estate and now only does it part time and primarily sells baked goods out of her home. Her husband, Matthew's dad, traveled a lot for work, but they adore each other. I also learned that Matthew was the youngest of four. Only one sibling lived with them and the other two moved away and got married after college. Talking about something besides my family and the people at school was such a relief. It is nice to listen to someone else talk about their life and learning about Matthew. He never mentioned his two oldest siblings to me.

"So, is tomorrow a school day?" Diane asked us all.

We looked at each other and seemed to agree. "Yes ma'am." Ray said.

"Good, need to work on our attendance. I know things get hard and sometimes you just need a day to yourself and to take a breath. And that's okay, just remember you also have to still take care of your responsibilities."

"Yes ma'am. We will." I assured her.

That night we all went home, Matthew came too. When we stepped in the house was nearly empty. We walked throughout the downstairs and every single trace of my mother was gone.

"Dad?" I called out.

"In the bedroom!"

All three of us walked in and he was folding his clothes and putting them in his dresser. "What happened to all of our stuff?"

He sighed. "Well, as you can imagine I did a lot today. Anything your mother picked out I had shipped over to her. I spoke to my lawyer about drawing up some divorce papers. Don't worry honey bear, we can pick out new furniture this weekend if you want. You know me, they are just items. If she wants them, we can always get more."

"Oh." We all looked around the room and there was just a bed, a TV and a dresser. Everything else was gone, "Dad, don't you think you gave her too much stuff? She doesn't even have a house."

He shrugged, "I could care less. She can do what she wants with it. I don't need it. I took inventory of everything I sent to her."

"Okay." Clearly, he was feeling a lot of ways and I wasn't going to tell him he was losing it. I kissed him on the cheek. "Love you, daddy."

"Love you too, honey bear."

I turned around and just gave a look to Ray and we left.