Chapter 3

"I came here for help; lives are depending on this. I'm thankful that you saved me, don't get me wrong, but I shouldn't have to endure shit like this." She then turned her attention to Kelly. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, calming herself so she could speak with her civilly.

"I'm a hunter." She says softly before taking out a small journal that was hidden in her back pocket. She handed Kelly the book and she began to flip through the pages full of curvy writing. Every now and then there would be a glued in photo of some sort of creature and then writing on the back of the page. Kelly assumed these pages were important because the pictures weren't trimmed and were labeled on the top, meaning they might have served as some sort of bookmark. She handed the journal back to Christine, who promptly stuffed it back into her back pocket.

"So what does that mean?" She asked.

"I really don't know how to explain, but then again you believed him about the deadites so, I guess you'll believe me. There are demons out there, yes, but there are also vampires and ghosts and all that shit. People like me keep them in check." Christine explained. Kelly gave her a look, like she didn't believe her, but it was gone within a few seconds.

"You're right, I've heard and seen crazier shit. I guess it's not that much of a stretch." Kelly said. Christine nodded.

"But the funny thing is that I'd never heard of a deadite before. Hunters usually stick together and we learn from each other, so I'd assume that no one else has either. That's why I'm here. I need to learn about these things to protect others. The fact that everyone was unknowingly relying on this moron is, a bit unnerving to me, but as soon as I get the word out about these things and how to get rid of them we should be good." Christine went on. Kelly simply nodded.

"Wait a minute, so you're saying that if I help you write your little book report about the deadites and the Necronomicon I won't be needed anymore?" Christine closed her eyes in frustration. At this point the mere sound of Ash's voice was getting on her nerves. She turned around, her face blank but her eyes gleaming with annoyance.

"That's exactly what I'm saying. You'll finally be able to retire, old man. Be happy." Christine retorted. Ash went to go say something, but Kelly interrupted him and effectively saved him from another argument with Christine.

"So we won't have to do this anymore?" She asked. Christine smiled.

"Not if you don't want to." She told her. Christine doubted that a girl like Kelly would leave all of this behind. She could already tell that she had seen and lost too much to leave it behind, and Christine felt that Kelly would make a damn good hunter if she chose to do so. She had the demeanor of a hunter already.

"I'm sorry but are we just going to ignore the fact that she called me 'old man?'" Ash asked, sounding genuinely offended.

"Why? Did I hurt your feelings?" Christine mocked.

"Look sweetheart, you would be dead if it weren't for me-"

"And you'd be in prison if it weren't for me." Christine interrupted. The two stared at each other for a few moments, allowing the tension to build in the room.

As the three sat in silence, a woman walked down the steps. She looked to be middle aged, but her hair was dyed to separate colors. Christine glared at the woman before pulling her magnum from its hidden holster. A chorus of 'whoa' rang out (particularly from Ash) as Christine approached the woman. She held her hands up and glanced over at Ash and Kelly.

"Who's this?" Christine asked, refusing to lower her gun.

"That's Ruby-"

"Why's there a demon here?" Christine inquired, her voice sounding angrier by the moment.

"What? How could you tell?" Kelly asked her. Christine wanted to look back at her, but she wasn't going to risk getting killed.

"Her eyes. They're different, you can always tell. And she has a faint smell to her." She explained. Ruby rolled her eyes.

"New friend, Ash?" She asked.

"Yeah, sorry about that. Christine could you-"

"No. Not a chance, I want to know why she's here." Christine stated bluntly.

"Look, Christine, she's mortal now-"

"That doesn't matter Ash, she could have given me away to every demon in this area by now. For all I know you led me here." Ash rolled his eyes.

"God, trust issues much? She can't talk to them... can you?" He asked. Ruby rolled her eyes again.

"Not anymore, I'm human now." She explained. Christine didn't seem to believe her. Ruby looked over at Ash before speaking again

"I was talking to Pablo upstairs." Christine kept her gun pointed at her.

"Who's Pablo?" She asked.

"Pablo's my little Mexican friend." Ash answered. Christine lowered her gun, to everyone's surprise, before turning to Ash.

"A warning about her would have been nice." She said before putting her gun completely away. She turned to Ruby.

"I apologize." She said in her same, emotionless voice. She wasn't exactly being genuine either, but now she knew to keep a close eye on this woman.

"Wait, so what's up with Pablo?" Ash asked.

"He's been having visions. Not sure what it means yet, though." She explained. Christine listened quietly. Ash smiled, trying to mask his worry.

"We'll figure it out." He tried to reassure everyone. The group fell into silence again and more tensions grew. Christine still didn't completely trust Ruby, and Ash still couldn't help but admire how Christine's ass looked in her shorts. This was their life now, and they had to adjust.

Ash just hoped Christine won't point a gun at Pablo when they meet.